Reunion- Part III

PETER POV

Peter knew what was at stake.

The Rogues were not on friendly terms with the other Avengers- and the debriefing was going to be tense and possibly hostile.

They were former criminals- they were dangerous, and probably had their own agendas...

That being said, Peter was fanboying So. Hard.

Oh my Lord Jesus I am about to interact with the greatest heroes in this and every other timeline I can't wait to tell Ned- wait no, they're bad. They did bad things, especially to Mr. Stark- but Captain America and Black Widow- no, no. They're not worthy of hero worship...ok, maybe Black Widow.

Peter's inner dialogue was completely frantic as the the three of them slowly made their way to the double doors at the end of the hallway. He was trying to put his game face on, like Mr. Stark had a moment ago, but the nigh unbearable urge to scream was disrupting his efforts. As it were, a small squeak escaped, and Mr. Stark looked down at the teen. He frowned in concern when he saw Peter's strained expression. "You ok, Pete? You look...I don't know, constipated." Peter breathed out a shaky laugh. "Nah, I'm good, Mr. Stark. Couldn't be better, with the present circumstances. I mean, the Avengers are coming back together. Like, Captain America and Hawkeye and Black Widow-"
The older man placed a hand on Peter's shoulder, cutting Peter's rant short. "Pete...it's ok to be nervous, and- excited, I guess. They are the Avengers, after all." Peter thought he heard a tinge of disappointment in his mentor's voice, and he was quick to reply-
"Yeah, but they're not nearly as awesome as Tony Stark."
Tony coughed, then blinked up at the ceiling. "Gosh, kid, why'd ya have to do this to me right now? I'm trying to look tough and unapproachable."
At that, Aunt May butted in. "If you really wanted that, Stark, then you wouldn't have brought Peter along. He's got you wrapped around his little finger." Gosh. Peter ducked his head to hide his embarrassment- he noticed Mr. Stark's ears were red, as well. "Aunt May!" Peter's aunt indulged in a chuckle at the two boy's' discomfort. Of course, Mr. Stark recovered his composure first, and retorted- "As if anyone who knows Pete can help it. He's just so darn adorable."
Peter knew Mr. Stark was teasing, but the man's gaze was so fond Peter could hear what was left unsaid. "Love you too, Mr. Stark."
"Kid! I can't handle this!"
————————————————————————
TONY POV

Thank God for this kid.

As they approached the door to the conference room, Tony could feel the old panic rising up again. He began to second guess every step- was he doing the right thing? Should Peter be involved? Would they influence him? What if they turned the kid against him-?
A small noise had distracted Tony from his anxious thoughts, and he had looked down to see his own panic reflected in Peter's eyes. But when the kid began talking, it was clear it was more an excitement than anything. The kid was excited. Tony tried to ignore the pang in his chest at the thought. Well, of course he was excited- he'd probably grew up with a Captain America lunch box. I mean, international crimes aside, Rogers was the much better role model. A real hero.
"-but they're not nearly as awesome as Tony Stark."
Whoop, here comes the feelings. He heard what was left unsaid- not Iron Man, but Tony Stark.
The kid was just so- so much more than what he deserved. And look at him- so confident in those few words. For once, Tony let himself accept them and laughed right up to the doorway.
And then the doors opened.
————————————————————————
STEVE POV

Where was Tony?

The man had scheduled the meeting for ten in the morning- to get it over with asap, he supposed- but it was ten twenty, and no sign of Stark. The bad taste in his mouth grew worse as each minute passed. What was he up to?