Smile- Part III

PETER POV

The ride to the HYDRA base was...interesting.

Peter jotted most of it down to nerves- seeing that he was finally going on a real mission- well, one that was above board on all the legalities, at least. But then again, he was going to be alone with the object of his dresser drawer shrine from the fourth grade. 

"Have you been debriefed?" That was Miss Natasha's way of saying "hello", so Peter returned the greeting without his voice wavering too badly- I mean, Miss Natasha was bad to the bone. She could probably kill Peter with a ramen noodle-

"-and n-no. I h-haven't...you know- been debriefed." That made him blush, for some reason, and Miss Natasha's responding smile was perhaps more genuine than the first. "Well, I'll just have to fill you in, won't I?" -Jeez, Peter. Act like a normal person, for once- I did not raise you like this the woman did not react to Peter's embarrassment, and smoothly turned to saunter towards the cockpit. "Come on-" And if she couldn't get more...God-is-a-woman-ly, she slid into the pilot's seat and took hold of the steering wheel-no, steering...mechanism. Joystick-thing. Of course she can fly- Pete thought as he unsurely made his way to the co-pilot chair. -and probably without a plane. "Never flew in the cockpit before-" Peter commented breathlessly as he buckled himself in. "Not surprised, with how Stark babies you." Miss Natasha quipped lightly as she looked his way-  to his credit, Peter only flinched a little at meeting the spy's sharp gaze. "He doesn't baby-"

"Just as well, I suppose-" the woman continued easily, as she returned her eyes to the window, "Stark has been more of an impudent man-child than usual- he needs a reason to be responsible for once."The jet's engines had already fired up, and so it was a small matter of a careful flick of her wrist and they were in the air.

———————————————————

TONY POV

"Oh, ok- so it's MY FAULT that these idiots would interpret "lay down your weapons" as to mean "blow up your facilities along with all sensitive information." Tony ground his teeth, as if that wouldn't set him even more on edge. They were standing outside a tent by the mine entance, beaten down by the oppressive desert heat. Or at least, Tony was getting fried like an egg- why hadn't he installed an AC system in this one, again?- Captain Cool Cucumber, however, was still as put together as his wax statue at Natural History-

-as if he were impervious to the elements surrounding him.

Rogers didn't change his arm-folded stance, and looked quite unimpressed at Tony's outburst. The inventor almost strangled the man at his calm, condescending tone-"I'm just saying that you should have waited for my call. Wanda had picked up on some activated weaponry-"

"Activated-?! It's a freaking HYDRA base!" Tony felt his heart start beating too hard. He'd forgotten his meds at home. "This was a straight forward flush out, Cap. As far as we're  concerned, the mission is over."

And there it was- that look. Like a snotty teenager that got told they couldn't update their data plan. Well, joke's on you pal- this wasn't his first rodeo with handling petulant-

Static, from both of their comm units, then Romanoff- "Entering Sudanese air space. Landing in fifteen." 

And just like that, the mood shifted. Peter. It had almost been like an itch he couldn't scratch- leaving the kid with next to no details, most certainly having Pete wondering and worrying his adorable little head off. He'd hated even the thought of it- but now Peter was here and they'd make the rest of the team jealous with their superb partnoership-

Certainly better than his and Cap's.

"I'm gonna-" go lie down so I don't have a coronary- "go through the rubble again- see if something shiny catches my fancy." And with that, Tony flipped his face plate down and shot into the arid atmosphere.

———————————————————-

PETER POV

The ride there wasn't too bad- not so smooth sailing as Tony's private jet, but maybe he was just spoiled.

-Much nicer than being on the outside-

The thought itched, but Peter dismissed the memory with another- he'd been doing that a lot, lately. Something Peter had seen on Pinterest. Anyway- he thought about the day he finally figured out the whole swinging among tall buildings gig- it had been weeks since he'd developed the shooters, as well as a plethora of bruises, but you can only throw yourself off a convenience store so many times- he did the math- he'd need to go higher. And so, one day he did-had climbed halfway up the Empire State Building -fear of heights be darned- and had just, let go. He remembered falling, thinking this was his stupidest idea as of late, and quite possibly the last, but then the moment felt right and he shot a line to the neighboring structure- 

It was magic.

Just...diving around like a song bird at the park, amongst rebar and cement instead of tree limbs -it was the most freeing feeling he had ever experienced- and they wondered why he laughed as the world spun, upside down-

"So, how's MJ doing?"

Peter jumped an inch in his seat, and blinked like the lights just turned on. Belatedly, he realized Miss Natasha had said something, and he turned to face her teasing expression. "Wha-? Oh. No, I-I wasn't...how do you even-? You know what? I'm not surprised. Just don't run my PIN at any liquor stores- Aunt May monitors my transactions." That earned a surprised huff from the spy, and Peter, being an optimist, took it as a good sign. "You sound just like Stark, you know that?" There wasn't any malice in her voice- just...an exasperated fondness, he supposed. "Hm-" she continued, "-must run in the family, eh?" And Peter couldn't quite hide his pleased smile at the words. 

After that, the two fell into comfortable silence, or- it was comfortable for Peter- He couldn't say for Miss Natasha, since she was like- a super spy, and now that he was thinking about it he was uncomfortable. Peter resisted the urge to ask if they were there yet. It had only been thirty minutes or so- and if he remembered his geography from last year, then Sudan was like, by the Horn of Africa. It'd be at least another- "Entering Sudanese air space-" Peter jerked. What? Already? "Landing in fifteen." Miss Natasha must have sensed Peter's shock, or anticipated it, and she looked a little rueful when she opened her mouth. "Gotta hand it to Stark- these new jets almost make putting up with him worth it." 

———————————————————

TO BE CONTINUED