Reunion- Part II

PETER POV

"Today, it has just been confirmed that the Rogue Avengers have been issued full pardons, following their signing of the revised Sovakia Accords in Geneva, Switzerland. As of now, their exact whereabouts are unknown, but speculations claim that the team had returned to the Avengers Compound in upstate New York-"

Peter flipped the channel.

"The world is in shock- what repercussions can be expected from the ex-Avengers' return?"

Flipped it again.

"Tony Stark has yet to release an official statement, and the world is waiting to see the outcome of this reunion."

The screen went to black, cutting off the news anchor's report. Peter sat still for a minute.

Mr. Stark hadn't said anything.

"Dinner's in the oven." May walked into the living room, wiping her hands on her apron. Her footsteps halted when she saw her nephew's expression. "Sweetie?" Peter felt himself turn to face his aunt.

He didn't tell him.

"Honey, what's wrong? Was it something on tv?" May approached Peter and sat by his side on the couch. The teen opened his mouth to respond, but he didn't know what to say. He was just trying to understand- he thought Mr. Stark trusted him. He thought they were in this together. The words left him before he knew it- "Why didn't tell me?" May's forehead wrinkled in confusion. "What?" Peter was angry, all of the sudden. "Mr. Stark! The Rogue Avengers! And the first time I'm seeing this is on the freaking tv?!" Peter gestured wildly at the black screen, feeling his breath quicken. "He said we were a team- and he didn't even tell me the Rogue freaking Avengers had returned!"
Wait.
Something in May's expression gave him pause. She looked...guilty? "Aunt May?" The older woman wouldn't meet Peter's questioning gaze. "May do you- do you know something about this?" She sighed, then looked up, revealing regretful eyes. "I'm sorry, Peter. Tony came to me about it a few days ago- he said it was my call on whether you should be told."
"What?!" Aunt May cringed, but continued. "I didn't think it would be safe for you-"
"Aunt May-" Peter stood to face his Aunt. "Aunt May, Mr. Stark needs everyone he can to be there for him- if anyone isn't safe, it's him!" May was taken aback. "What do you mean?" Peter froze, realizing what he said.
Crap.
Peter remembered how he first found out what exactly transpired in Siberia. It was months ago- the teen had walked into the lab one night, only to find Mr. Stark a drunken mess, struggling through a severe panic attack. Peter had freaked out at first, but then recalled how Mr. Stark treated Peter when he was having his own attacks. He did his best, and more or less successfully led Mr. Stark out of the flashback. Even after he had calmed down, Mr. Stark was still stupid drunk, so as Peter dragged his mentor up to bed, the older man slurred through what he saw in his flashbacks and nightmares-

-A red, white, and blue shield, charred from repulser blasts, being driven down to his chest-

The next day, Mr. Stark claimed to not have remembered anything of what happened the previous night, but had been thoroughly mortified that Peter saw him like that. Then and there, he swore off heavy drinking, and had been sober ever since.

Peter never told him what he knew -and it never came up again- but, the truth remained...

Mr. Stark couldn't face them alone.

Peter went on his knees to level his gaze with his aunt's. "May, please, you have to let me go. Mr. Stark needs me. He needs me, May. Please."

The older woman's inner conflict reflected on her face, and Peter continued in his imploring stare.
"I don't-"
"Please."
Aunt May bit her lip, then closed her eyes.
"Ok-"
Peter perked up.
"-we are going together, and if anyone tries anything, I am not above driving Captain America's star-spangled ding-dongs up into his throat." Peter choked on his surprised laugh, then leaned forward to hug his aunt. "I love you, Aunt May."
"I know."
"Aunt May! You did the thing!"