Its A Date

FLASHBACK TO PETER'S "DATE" WITH MJ AT CENTRAL PARK- ENJOY

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PETER POV

Peter was only seven when his parents died, so the few memories he did have of Richard and Mary Parker were vague and mostly constructed from pictures he had perused in the family photo album. Of course there were some clear impressions- a few vivid moments that survived in Peter's mind throughout the years-

One was the day in the park.

It had been the beginning of fall- Peter was only five or six at the time- and the three Parkers had decided to celebrate the cooler weather and turning foliage with a leisurely walk through Central Park. Peter remembered starting out between his parents, hand in hand with each adult, but then somehow ending up on his father's shoulders by the time they reached the playground.
They spent hours there.
Peter played like there was no tomorrow- he joined in on other kids' games, scraped both knees, and climbed every possible surface of the jungle gym. The teen could still recall the pure innocence of those hours- play for the sake of play. It was a good memory, but that's not why that day stuck with him until now-

He remembered it because that was the day he got his first kiss.

It was a little red headed girl with glasses -he hadn't even known her name- she had just walked up to the swings where peter sat and told him to kiss her. It was so silly -looking back now- but to a much younger Peter, it was like she had offered illegal drugs or something. He remembered his heart beating out of his chest as he looked around to see if anyone was watching. His parents were on the other side of the playground, and the rest of the kids were playing on the monkey bars. The coast was clear, but his mouth was dry and a small tremble made its way into his small hands.
"S-sure." He had rasped, watching with owl eyes as the little girl just walked up to him and closed her eyes and-

"Hey, loser!" Peter blinked and the little red headed girl's coy smile was replaced with another's smirk. "MJ!" Peter breathed out a surprised laugh. She was still dressed in her school clothes, but was holding a new book. Peter liked how she never wore makeup or flashy accessories- she just made looking good effortless.
"Hey-hey, MJ." Peter scooted over to make room for his friend on the park bench he had claimed a few minutes before. "'Sup,Parker?" The tall girl flopped down on the seat with a huff- "Whatcha got planned?"
Peter smelled lavender.
"Uh...well, I thought we could just- take a walk?" The teen gestured put toward the leave covered trail winding through Central Park. "The weather's started to turn, so I thought it'd be nice to...celebrate it." MJ laughed through her nose, and let her eyes wander through the brightly colored trees. "Yeah, they look pretty festive," she said finally. Peter let out a breath of relief.
"It'll be fine-" Mr. Stark had assured Peter earlier, "-there's a reason "a walk in the park" is a euphemism for something easy - you have nothing to worry about."
Maybe this wouldn't end in disaster.
"So, are we gonna go, or what?" Peter turned to MJ, who was looking at him expectantly.
"Oh! Yeah- yeah, let's go."

And so they did. The two teenagers slowly made their way through the trees, stopping to pet a dog, then getting roasted nuts from a kiosk by the pond. They talked about school things- the mundane. They also talked about the deeper stuff you can only mention in passing while on a walk with a friend. "Sometimes, I think they're disappointed- in me." Peter nodded at MJ's quiet confession, then offered the girl a roasted pecan- her favorite. She accepted it and popped it her mouth before continuing- "I mean, my brother is off in the navy, 'bringing honor to the family name' or whatever, but they don't want to really make a difference."

After that, a not-uncomfortable silence went on, and the two enjoyed the scenery for a bit. Peter was more freaking in because MJ's hand touched his when she took the pecan. He rubbed it against the side of his pant leg, trying to get it to stop tingling. This hadn't happened before -MJ pinched and poked Peter all the time- why was her really soft hand brushing against his any different?
"That's always been my goal-" Peter finally said. "-to be doing something that matters. I know that my powers give me an opportunity to do more...I don't want to waste them on myself when someone might need Spider-Man." MJ turned to face Peter, and there was a tenderness in her eyes that threw him off guard. It was like he could see...deeper. Like she opened a door into a room further inside. After a moment, she replied in a soft voice- "I think what you're doing is- amazing, Peter...I'm glad I know you." Peter felt his ears burn at that- he was sure his face was red as well. The boy's suspicions were confirmed when MJ laughed a little and flicked one of his ears. "Aw, look at that- Spidey is embarrassed." Peter ducked and stepped away. "I'm not embarrassed! It's just- really cold out. I have sensitive ears." He really did, but MJ's knowing smirk only grew. "Whatever, Spider-Boy." Peter scoffed, then moved to bump MJ's shoulder. "Whatever, Michelle." She pushed Peter away, who tripped on his own foot and fell into the leaf covered grass with a cry. "Hey!" MJ was laughing out loud, holding her middle and trying not to spill her bag of nuts. "You-! Even with spidey powers, you're so clumsy, Peter!" The boy sat up on his hands and knees, aiming a scowl at MJ, but she was still gasping, trying to calm down. "It's not funny."
"Oh, it is, Parker." MJ wiped her eyes. "Can't say why, but it is." Peter rolled his eyes, and sat down on his rear in defeat. He was holding onto his frown, but underneath, he was thrilled he got MJ to laugh- out loud. He had never heard her real laugh before- he really liked it.
"Are you just gonna stand there and laugh at my pain, or are gonna help me up?" MJ swallowed a giggle, then wordlessly reached out to accept Peter's outstretched hand. "I kinda want to apologize, but that was just so-" Suddenly MJ gave a surprised "eep!" before falling forward. Peter caught her, on instinct, but the force knocked him off his balance, causing the two teenagers to collide together against the ground. Their arms were wrapped around one another, with Peter's face in MJ's wild hair. Lavender.
MJ mumbled something into Peter's chest, and the boy quickly rolled on his side to let MJ get off. They both began to apologize-

"I'm so sorry!"

"I tripped on the sidewalk like a retarded horse-"

Peter barked out a laugh, then caught a glimpse of the deep blush in MJ's face. "It's fine." He said breathlessly, because something was happening to his heart-

it was beating really hard,

and his mouth was dry and his hands were shaking-

a memory came up to the forefront of his mind.

"MJ-"

The girl turned to face Peter, a something look in her eyes. They stared- for a full minute- she wet her lips.

"Yeah, Peter?"

The air was different- in an instant, something had changed- now it was tight and still and heavy. Peter gulped, and he felt himself leaning forward.

"What's happening?"

He whispered against MJ's skin, as she began to close her eyes.

"I don't know-"

then the space between their lips disappeared.

Peter felt a soft tremble run through him, and he heard MJ draw in a sharp breath through her nose. Then it was just- warmth- filling his chest and his hands which had somehow made their way to hold each side of MJ's face. Explosions went off in the back of his mind, and lavender filled his senses. It went on forever, but ended too soon. It was MJ who pulled away first, and they both gasped for a breath. They looked into each others eyes, closer than ever, and Peter whispered-"What was that?" MJ's eyes crinkled "I don't know...but I liked it. Did you like it?" Peter's breath hitched and he moved in again. This time, MJ kissed back, and every thought flew from Peter's mind, leaving only fire and the all encompassing aroma of lavender.

LATER

TONY POV

"So, how'd it go, kid?" Tony had just picked Peter up from the park, and they were driving back to the tower. "It was- really good."
Tony froze.
Wait a second-
The kid's voice had full on cracked, like he was just now going through puberty. Tony snuck a glance at Peter in the passenger side, and he immediately recognized that look.
"Oh! Oh hoh hoh! Peter!"
The teen flinched and turned to face his mentor. "What?"
Tony scoffed, "Oh, you know what- you charmer, you! I didn't think you had it in you!" Tony watched in delight as the kid's face went bright red in a second. "I-I don't know what you're talking about, Mr. Stark."
"I think you do! And at sixteen, too! Look at my boy, growing up so fast!"
"Tony!"
"Just wait till I tell May you've had your first kiss-"
"It wasn't my first kiss!"
Tony raised an eyebrow, unconvinced.
"Well, not really-" the boy amended, "-when I was little-"
"Ah ah, those don't count- this is your first official kiss. You gotta give me details-"
Peter moaned and covered his face in both hands, trying to hide his red cheeks, and Tony just snickered to himself. He couldn't believe Pete got his first kiss! He felt like a proud dad, witnessing his kid's first significant milestone- he was going to tell everyone-
"It's not a big deal, Tony." Peter looked up from his hands, trying in vain to master his expression. "It was just a small- nothing, really. I mean, it was more like five small nothings, but we didn't-" The inventor interrupted Peter by clapping a hand on his back. "I'm proud of you, Kiddo-" Peter relaxed a little under Tony's hand, and even allowed a small smile on his still-blushing face.

"-but now I gotta give you The Talk."

"NO!"

HEY-SORRY I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE  ROMANTIC SCENES... I TRIED 🙃