Chapter 5 :Part 2

I was sitting in Elina's car waiting for her . She had just driven the car out of the parking lot when her mom called . The car was in front of the hospital gate around five feet from a crossing . For some reason she preferred a private conversation with her mother so she excused herself . They were having some kind of argument I believe . (wish I had paid more attention!)
I sat beside the driver's seat looking here and there absent mindedly . Two roads zig zagged on the crossing . Traffic here was controlled by a signal post .
For a minute traffic was allowed on the lane by which our car stood . It was called the P C. lane for some reason I never cared to find out . People on the turning waited for the signal . There was comparatively less traffic that day . When the signal turned red , P.C. lane was completely empty so the people rushed on the other side by the zebra crossing .
In the crowd someone particularly caught my eyes . I cannot really say why . It could be because she was so very slow . She was an aged lady with sliver hair tied in a tight bun at the back . She carried a trolley filled with groceries probably shopped from a nearby shop . She walked slow , very slow - why not after all she was old . She had started for the other side with all the others but by the time everybody else was gone , she was still strugglling with her trolley in the middle of the crossing . The signal was still red alright but I thought she would never reach the other end on time cause every step she took was with a doubtful foot . Probably she had a weak eyesight too . I decided to help her .
I always tried to help old people on the road . Thr bright smiles they would give you in return of your silly favours were worth it . It simply made my day .
I unlocked the car to get out and realised just how weak I was . I thought if I tried to walk on my own , I could be slower than the old lady but I really wanted to help ...
A truck was speeding on the other side so it will have to stop cause the signal was still red - oh no wait it did not stop ! OH NO ! It hit her !
She was there you know but the next moment she was gone -crushed under the truck and I happen to witness this horrible sight just when I was going to try and take a day off from my tragic life which I thought couldn't get any better but here I was....
The truck hit her and crushed her beneath it's wheels as if she were a dumped bouquet of rotten flowers . As if Thanotos, the God of death himself had volunteered to run over the poor lady ! There was blood all over the road not to mention that crushed body and the groceries scattered all over and the cart had rolled onto the other side .
Later the local newspaper revealed that the driver had been driving recklessly and pushed the break a little later than it was required . Nothing new - really !
That truck overrun the lady at the speed of light in front of my own eyes ! I have weak eyes but good enough to onlook this tragedy .
To this day I get nightmares . It haunts me like a curse ! I think I heard a weak scream and a painful groan . Its not possible though as the accident happened kind of far , not very far though ...
If only I got out in time , maybe - just maybe I could've done something .
You know what's the problem with the people of this world? They commit this mistake again and again and then they blame the victims of tragedy . They will try to offer help after the harm is done . You remember how the whole school was freaking out when Hannah Baker died  including the parents of the kids ? Everybody nearby rushed in but what could they do . The lady was gone - dead !
I can't really explain what petrifued me so much . I didn't even know the lady but you see , she was one of my kind . What I saw was death -nothing else ! But death is horrible you know . Attending funerals where you get to see dead bodies covered with white sheets and flowers is one thing - a very peaceful encounter and death seen with one's own eyes is so different when you see it from that distance ! My heart skipped a beat when the truck skid to a break few seconds late to the left . The crash created a ruckus at the crossing !
I literally watched the poor lady walk to her death . She didn't even have the time to scream out . It was like the truck came and she was gone !
I was crying - no sobbing . It probably would have been different if it would be anybody else but for a person who got out of rehabilitation that very day , a peraon who is already emotionally broken completely the way I was  (you know everything , don't you? ) it was just too much !
Elina came running when she heard all the noise . "What hapoened ? Hey ! Why you crying ?"
"Let's just not go today okay ...see this is terrible ! I need to get over this before I take any break !"
Elina tried to console me in vain . "Oh dear you saw it ? "
"Wish I died instead ! That was just ....disgusting !"
"Oh don't say that ! I'm so sorry.  I shouldn't have left you alone ."
" I could have done something you know . If only I got out in time !", the very thought made me feel even more traumatic .
"It's not your fault really . What could you do ? You were so far away !"
"You know what , just drop me home ."
"You will be fine ?"
"Yeah I think ...."
"Do you think I should stay . You know just to -"
" Oh no I will be fine . Don't worry . "
"Okay . But I'm not leaving before I make you a glass of fresh lemonade ."
I saw the dead body -crushed dead body . I saw fruits and vegetables (all those groceries) and blood splattered all over the road when our car sped across the crossing . I kept sobbing . I just couldn't accept it ! It was not fair . Why don't people follow signals ? They are there for a reason ! Why do the weaker ones always suffer! ...
So there you are -I just wanted to have a good day , just one day and fate wouldn't spare me one ! Everything cancelled , we went straight home . As promised Elina made me lemonade.  She knew I loved lemonade  (probably the only sober drink I liked other than non alcoholic beer . She left me with 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S' airing on TV and a glass of freshly made lemonade but not before pecking me on the cheek !
"It's a new life man . Best of luck !"
I managed a smile but deep down I was dying .

But there are a few things that needs mentioning ! Good things you could say .
Brian Dekins was back in town - well if you could call that good ...
But he did not come back to school . Strange? Well he went to another school - Reverend High  . The Brian who went and the one who came back were clearly not the same . They felt like absolutely separate entities .
The new one was exceedingly extroverted . I don't recall him coming to me . All the love and all - forgotten . You can say he kind of forgot about that kiss after a year .
Probably he shared many of those in that one year . Where he was ? Why he came back I never knew . I decided not to approach him because again - I  was shy . You may think I'm weird . I said I loved him and yet I did not go to him then . Well yes , I'm weird . Forget evening walks , we never even talked again . I saw him sometimes here and there , hanging out with a bunch of his kind but I never really paid much attention . You can say I was just happy enough with Elina Eliot . I could not see why I needed any Brian !
Elina gave me a new life you know . Our day out never really happened but we did go for a walk to central park the next day . It was more like Elina trying to teach a baby girl how to walk . She supported me by one arm while I tried walking .
After an hour or so when I was panting from all the effort , she drove me home . I let myself fall on the sofa in the living room . "You wait here . I got sonething for you .", and she went out to bring sonething out of the car dicke . What she brought out was a heavy package wrapped with attractive paper .
"You chose to ruin your birthday in the hospital so here's a small present for you ."
"Oh thank you so much!" , and I hugged her tightly .
The 'small present' gave me a new life . A new beginning . Inside the package was an 18 inch long transparent box which contained seven books - a book series . The Harry Potter series .