Wounded

"Leave. Them. Alone. Or I will do something I will deeply regret!" A 19 year old Rayla threatened another elven assassin.
"What's a weak girl going to do to someone as strong as me?" The elf laughed in her face and she grew enraged.
"Rayla don't do it!" The 18-19 year old prince shouted at Rayla.

In a matter of seconds Rayla had cut a cross shape in the other elf's chest.
"You Imp. You are going to pay for that!" The older elf lunged towards her, sharp knives in both hands. Rayla dodged gracefully and attacked at her own risk.

Callum, Ezran, Bait and A half grown Azymondias stood there fearing Rayla's life. Ezran put a comforting hand on his older brother's shoulder.
"She will be ok. She's Rayla after all." Callum looked at him and nodded.

The elf looked towards the boys and lunged towards them. Rayla stood there and panicked but then she ran after him. The elf then jumped up into the trees to hide himself. Rayla followed but couldn't see him. Just then, a knife flew down and hit Azymondias in the leg. They all gasped and went to his aid but Rayla and the elf continued to fight in the trees.

"You're no good for them. Join us again and be free from looking after them or they die."
"I would never betray my friends." Rayla snarled and went to attack. When he didn't dodge, she was confused and couldn't bring herself to hurt him.
"Awe, you have a soft heart. It would be a shame if that heart was a broken one." He laughed viciously and looked down. Rayla followed his gaze. 'Callum!'
"You wouldn't dare." Her voice was low and dark.
"Try me." He cackled and jumped down while throwing the knife towards the Step Prince.
"NOOOOOOO!" Rayla shouted as she swiftly fell of the branch and in range to stop the knife from hitting Callum's back.
"Argh...." Rayla had blocked the knife and was now stuck in her side.
"Rayla!" Callum rushed to aid her side.
"No Callum.....Save Azymondias...." Rayla was short of breath as blood seeped through her clothes.
"Rayla! You are at risk of dying!"
"Oh well. More the reason to get back up and fight." She pulled the knife out with a grunt. Callum had an unamused look on his face.

Meanwhile, the other elf sat by a rock waiting to fight again. When he saw he had wounded her, he got up, laughed and ran off into the woods.

"Rayla...I'm going to help you." He jumped back when she started to cough. Then she started to be sick. And that's not the worst of it. She started to puke up blood. And in that short time, she had lost a lot of blood and was now at a real risk of losing her life. But Callum became determined. He was going to help her. He was not going to let his crush lose her life in his arms.

So he picked her up and leaned her on a tree.
"Ezran....go find me some rare herbs and some water." Ezran nodded and went to find the ingredients. Callum took off his jumper and ripped the sleeve to clean the wound in Rayla's side.

He gently lifted up her shirt and grimaced at the sight. A deep red wound with blood pouring out of it. Rayla winced when Callum prodded about around the wound.
"Good you still have feeling in your side. You're going to be alright Rayla. I'm going to help you. I can't imagine a world with out you in it. Please. I love you." He grabbed her hand and kissed it.

Ezran came back not a minute later with a bag full of herbs and leaves and four little bottle of fresh water from the river.

He gently poured water over it to clean it. He took the herbs and mushed them all up so he got some syrup type stuff and poured it over the, now clean of any blood, wound. She groaned as she lost all feeling as it had numbed and fell alders. Callum looked horrified as Ezran checked her pulse.
"Her pulse is still there but it's slow. She probably just fell asleep." Callum calmed down and wiped away the excess syrup. He opened a bag and found some fresh bandages, a dressing and a sewing kit for emergencies. He carefully stitched her side, put a dressing over the stitches and slowly wrapped her abdominal area in the bandages.

"She's going to be ok, right Callum?" Ezran looked at his brother who just stared at Rayla's sleeping body.
"I don't know. I think she'll make it. When has she not made it?" He smiled and looked back at Ezran and elbowed him. Then his
Smiled faded when he saw tears in his little brother's eyes. He immediately pulled Ezran in for a hug and started to cry himself.
"It's going to be ok, Ez. It's Rayla. She's strong." He felt Ezran nod. A low gurgle came from Zym. The boys pulled apart and saw the dragon limping up to them.

"Glad to see someone is awake." Ezran said, still trembling. Azymondias walked over to Rayla and later beside her. He purred.

"He said he wants to help. Lean Rayla against him so she's not on a hard uncomfortable tree." Ezran translated.

Callum nodded and gently moved her to Zym's side where he wrapped a wing around Rayla to keep her warm.

<~~~That night~~~>

Callum sat by the small fire her made. Thinking about what happened. How he could've prevented it all. How he could've saved the love of his life. He was broken out of his thoughts when he heard someone stirring and waking up behind him. Expecting it to be Ezran, he was quite shocked to see Rayla slowly moving about. Although he was happy she had lived, he was going to scold her big time for taking the knife for him. He got up and speed walked towards her.

"How's Zym?" She quietly asked, strain could be heard in her voice.
"He's fine but how are you? You almost died." She shrugged and went to get up.
"Rayla no. I can't let you move around much. You are severely wounded and you need to heal. So we're going to have to stay here until you're healed enough to travel." He took her hand in his. She looked at him with squinted eyes and then looked away. Pulling her hand away from his and crossing her arms; wincing as she carelessly hit her wound.
"Hey I know that look. But seriously Rayla, you didn't need to do what you did. It wouldn't have mattered if I had been hit."
She looked at him. Sympathy glowing in her eyes.
"Hey, Hey, Hey, it would've mattered just as much as it mattered to you when I took the knife for you. I may not show it at time but I really do care about you Callum. And that's not why I took the knife for you. That elf knew something I didn't. He wanted to break me by killing you. But if he killed you then he would've killed a part of me too." She smiled and scratched her head in embarrassment.
Callum smiled goofily as he sat crossed legged in-front of her. She looked down at his hands and grabbed them.
"And besides,I couldn't imagine a world with out you in it either."
She let go of his hands and grabbed his face. She stared deep into his eyes and roughly pulled him into a long passionate kiss. Callum immediately eased into it and kissed back. Ezran watched as his brother finally became happy with the love of his life. He turned away from them and scratched Bait's head.
"Let's give them some privacy shall we?" He layers down on his side and went to sleep. The 14-15 year old smiling excited that in the future, he was going to have this cool assassin MoonShadow elf as a sister in law.

Rayla and Callum pulled apart and Rayla giggled.
"So does this mean you love me too?" Callum asked.
"No I just wanted to pour all my feelings out to you and kiss you as friends. Of course I love you. You can be such a dork sometimes." Callum carefully pulled her into a hug. She hugged back.

"Do you want something to eat?" Callum asked.
"Some moonberries would be nice." She watched as Callum pulled out a little cloth filled with moonberries. She ate them slowly.
"Callum?"
"Yeah?"
"Hug me. I'm cold." She gave an innocent look and Callum smiled sweetly. He want going to say no to hug his lover. He crawled to her good side and sat down close to Rayla. She snuggled into his side and she carried on eating the moonberries.

"Rayla? Will you be my girlfriend?" Rayla put her hand on his cheek.
"Yes." Was all she said before she kissed him.

They soon fell asleep together after talking for another hour or so. Both of them felt happy that they finally confessed and got together.