Fireworks

"Come on Rayla! They're going to start any minute now." Callum grabbed the hand of a female moon shadow elf and pulled her to the top of a mountain. Callum had always loved and hated this night.

"What's so special about this night?" Rayla asked.
"Well, fireworks, of all shapes, sizes and colours burst into the sky and create pretty patterns." Ezran made hand motions to prove his point.
"What's a firework?" Rayla looked at the starry sky. Callum chuckled.
"A firework is something made of gunpowder. You add colour to it and light it up. It then flies into the air and explodes. Some are big, some are small and some are really pretty."

Rayla nodded and jumped when she heard the first firework. Callum noticed this and took her hand in his. He smiled when she looked at their hands and she squeezed tighter while smiling aswell. Ezran sat with Bait and Zym, watching as they held hands as they watched the midnight skies fill with fireworks.

Callum looked over at Rayla and blushed. The colours illuminated her face, making her shine and her eyes reflected the sparkles of the excess firework. He was in awe and felt like he couldn't breathe. She saw him watching her with a goofy smile and blushed herself.
"Everything ok? Callum?"
"Hm? Oh yeah everything is perfectly fine."

An hour later, the fireworks were still going on and Callum, Rayla and Zym were cuddling together, collecting warmth off of each other. Ezran was asleep and Bait was eating moonberries.

"Are you ok Callum? You look really upset." Rayla asked him and his small smile got taken over by a frown.
"No...I'm not ok, you see, this night was the night of my parents anniversary of when my dad proposed to my mum. And it's also when she died a couple years ago. Every night on this night, they would take us out to a cleared forest area and we would lie down and watch the fireworks." He looked up at the sky as a tear rolled down his cheek. Rayla saw this and her mood changed.
"Callum....." she pulled him into a big hug.
"We can do what you and your family did. We can lie down here and watch the fireworks. I will be by your side. We are in this together now. And besides, at least you had parents who cared for you. But this isn't about me, this is about you. And I'm going to be here for you, always." She released him from the hug and kissed his cheek.
"Thank you Rayla."

They both laid down next to each other, hands still intertwined, and watched the fireworks.