Chapter Ten

Despite the misty, gray weather the next morning, I took Phaeton out for a ride. The gloominess cast a different appearance over the countryside and did nothing to improve my mood. The night before my sister-in-law had been as impossible as ever, and Father had sided with her.

"Why can you not be more agreeable, Lucas?"

Father's words rang through my mind as I crossed the wet ground. I had disappointed him so much when I had objected to Rosamund's suggestion I negotiate to rent a property thirty miles away. Deep down, I know my father wanted what was best for me, but he and I were so different, I couldn't see how he would even begin to understand what was right for me.

"Halt!"

That sharp command brought me from my reverie, and I glanced about me until I spotted the speaker. A man on a black horse came towards, a surly expression on his face. I reined Phaeton to a halt and waited until the rider reached my side.

"You are trespassing, " he said without a greeting, his tone accusing.

"Indeed I am not. This is Bywood land, is it not?"

My tone was sharp. He sneered and shook his head. "While I rent it, it is my land, and I may say who is allowed to ride here and who is not. You are a stranger to me, and therefore you are the trespasser."

So this was John Lamotte, Rosamund's brother, and my father's renter. His appearance was nothing like my sister-in-law with his dark eyes and brown hair, though there was a haughtiness in his bearing that resembled Rosamund's. "I meant no offense, sir," I said to him. "I have ridden these grounds for years. I am Lucas Bywood."

The calculating expression that crossed his face puzzled me. "John Lamotte. I've heard of you."

I didn't even bother trying to hold back my sigh. "And what have you heard?"

He chuckled, setting me on edge. "Oh, nothing too dreadful." I felt relief until he continued with, "Only how you have let an inheritance go to your head and now you refuse to be guided by anyone."

"Only that?" I asked wryly. The mist had shifted back into rain, and I could feel cold drops running down my back. "I believe you are acquainted with a friend of mine, Mr. Miles Russell."

Lamotte's eyes shifted away, in a manner that could only be described as 'guilty.' "We have met in passing."

"In passing you say? Miles mentioned there was a debt of honor he has been trying to repay."

"Your friend may wait upon my pleasure in this matter," Lamotte said sharply. Whatever interest I had incited in him vanished in an instant. "He may repay his debt when I say he shall. Now, I must ask you to remove yourself from my property or shall not be held accountable for my actions."

Rougher than was necessary, he jerked her horse's head around and rode away. Annoyed, I guided Phaeton in the direction I knew was the property line of Oakcrest. I glanced over my shoulder to see the outline of Lamotte in the distance, watching me.

Why would Lamotte want to keep Miles from repaying him? It was not honorable to refuse payment for a gambling debt. Of course, my initial impression of Lamotte was that honor was not of great importance to him.

Every time I woke up, I was faced with more questions than answers; more irritations than enjoyment. I also had no idea how I was to get to the bottom of it all.

****

Everyone was thankful when the weather finally cleared up later that day. That evening, an invitation to join the house party for the afternoon in two days time arrived. George claimed estate business would keep him entirely occupied, though I suspected he merely wished for some time to himself. Thus, Miles and I escorted Philippa and Rosamund to Braglow.