Chapter Thirteen

My life had become such a tangle, and I knew there was only one place I could get help. Mama always knew whenever I was concerned about something. I went to her room the day after the picnic, only to find Dr. Morgan was with her, a frown creasing his forehead.

"Is Mama well?" I asked worriedly, my mind immediately thinking the worst. "What's happened?"

"I'm afraid your mother has rather overdone herself, Master Lucas," he said, shaking his head gravely. "I must insist you remain in bed until I say it is safe for you to rise, Mrs. Bywood. You will do yourself no favors if you are up and about before you are ready. You may cause permanent harm."

"Surely some movement and fresh air would be better than none." I couldn't bear the thought that I was the cause of this downward turn. "It cannot be good for anyone to be in the same room for so long without a change."

Dr. Morgan, so familiar and yet aged at the same time, frowned at me. "I am the professional here, young man," he said sternly. "Trust me to know what is best for your mother. If she expects to recover her health even slightly, she will obey me this time."

"Luke just worries, Doctor," Mama said, her voice hoarse. "I shall be fine dear. I fear I may have sat in a draft the other day. I feel weaker than before, nothing more."

"Then, you should have said something at the time." I went to her side. Her eyes scanned me, and her forehead began to wrinkle into a frown. "Miss Darkin would have understood, I'm sure. Now she will be distraught when she learns of this."

"Now don't you discuss my health with the neighbors, Luke Bywood. I do not need any more of that."

I raised my hand as though I were swearing to it. "I promise no one shall hear a word of it from me." What else could I do? She enjoyed her privacy as much as the next person and to know she must be talked of often must have been frustrating to her. "Shall I leave you to get more rest now?"

"Not at all," Mama said even as the doctor agreed with me. "Doctor, I must speak with my son. He would not seek me out unless he were in need of my advice."

How did she always know?

Heaving a sigh, Doctor Morgan gathered up his supplies and tools. He left after giving Mama strict instructions as to her health and informed me he intended on telling my father the same thing. I had little doubt I would be in a great deal of trouble once again from both Father and George when they learned of this.

"Now, Luke, tell me all about the picnic," Mama said once we were alone. "I assume something happened then that bothered you?"

"Hasn't Rosamund told you the story? I thought she or Philly would have."

She shook her head. "Rosamund has many duties to see to around the house," she said, an odd note of bitterness obvious in her voice. "She barely ever comes to see me. It's better for us both she does not. Philippa, as you know, is only concerned with her Mr. Talbot now he is in the area."

I chuckled and settled into the seat by her and gave her a full account of the afternoon, ending with the accident at the pond. "Miles disappeared as soon as we got back. I mean, he joined us for dinner, but since then I haven't seen him. I have no idea what he intends to do now he knows where his ring is."

"His ring?"

Flinching, I shook my head. "It's a long story." I would at least keep Miles' secret. "I told him I would help him, but now I don't know what he is thinking."

"Perhaps the strain of pretending to be something he is not is affecting him as much as it is affecting you. It cannot be easy to constantly hear the woman he loves is to marry you, even if he does know your courtship is a farce. To be perfectly honest, Luke, I think you might do better to end it now and allow all of you to continue with your separate lives."