III

2 days have passed and the weather had seen no signs of changing. Yuri and Yujin continued to pester Yena to kill Erii despite the seemingly hot weather. Yena ignored them completely, focusing only on school work. 

"I have a bright idea," Yuri said. "How about we have a rain ritual? I mean, the people in the past did it when it didn't rain." Yena and Yujin frowned.

"That has to be the wor..." Yena was interrupted by the sound of a knock. Apparently, someone was outside. Yena pointed her lips towards the door while keeping her eyes locked at Yuri's. 

Yuri shouted, "Who is it?" 

"It's Sakura!"

Yena looked a little perplexed by the sudden visit. Yuri proceeded to open the door and invited Sakura and Chaeyeon in. "What brings both of you all the way here?" Yujin asked. Chaeyeon glanced at Yujin for a moment before turning to Sakura.

Sakura, feeling uneasy, replied, "Have you heard about the murder that happened this morning?" Yena's eyes widened, surprised by what she heard.

"What murder?"

"Hyewon from Class 4 is dead," Sakura pursed her lips. "Her arms were missing when the police arrived."

Yena kept quiet. She did not kill anyone in the past few days and initially suspected Yuri and Yujin but she was pretty sure that they did not do it. She was also sure that she was the only serial killer on the loose. Yuri, from the look of her eyes, seemed concluded about the identity of the killer but refused to say anything. 

Yujin spoke up, "Well, the police should do a better job. That's 2 dead within a week. I'm pretty sure that number will continue to increase." 

"Agreed," Chaeyeon nodded. "The reason why Sakura and I came here was not only to inform you guys of the murder. It was to give a warning. The police found a piece of paper with 'An Yujin' written on it. The authorities believe that Yujin will be the next victim."

"What? Why me?" The information gave Yujin a severe jolt. She was afraid of a few things. One was getting killed brutally. Another was getting the police to be near the apartment that she lives in with Yuri and Yena. That would sabotage their plans. 

"I have no idea," Sakura said. "Chaeyeon and I are worried for you guys. We actually wanted to stay with the 3 of you for the meantime."

Yujin wanted to protest but Yena agreed without any hesitation. Chaeyeon and Sakura smiled and told them that they would be back after they take their stuff back at their apartment. When the 2 left, Yuri asked Yena, "Why are you letting those 2 stay all of a sudden?"

"Here is my take on this. If we allow those 2 to stay, it would shut down any speculation that we are involved in the murder of Yamada Noe, if there is even any. Besides, we have no intention in killing the 2 anyways. I'm just a little shocked by Hyewon's death. She was never part of my list."

Yuri was puzzled by Yena's last sentence. "You had a list? I thought you said it was random?"

"It is. I pick randomly from my list."

Yujin interrupted, "Guys, stop talking about that and focus on the situation right now. Someone out there is killing students when it should be our job! And I am the next target, at least according to the goddamn police!"

"Don't you have any clue about who is that killer?" Yena asked.

Yujin shook her head. "Why would I have any idea who it is?"

Yuri told Yujin to think harder. Yujin twiddled with her thumbs, trying to figure out who it is.

"No way. That would be too risky, wouldn't it?"

Yena and Yuri concurred. "A little odd, too. Yes, the police concluded that the original inclement killer died before they could even confirm the identity. What they do not know is that the original killer is still out there. The only doubt I have is that if it was the inclement killer who killed Hyewon, then it would go against the rules, which is to kill only when the weather is unpleasantly cold and wet," Yena said.

"What if the rules have changed?" Yujin questioned.

"Then that will only apply to the killer. Not to us. We will still only operate when the weather is bad," Yena made it clear.

Yena stood up and walked over to the window and glanced at the cars moving rapidly. She thought about the killer. "So, the same thing that motivated us to kill is out there to get us?" She thought to herself as she stared outside.