when you have no soul you have no eyes

Winter

I hold her for what seems forever. I don’t think too much, I just sit there and let myself hold her. My emotions are a mess, I’m happy that I’m holding her and the doubt from my mind that I should be running from her is gone. This is where I’m meant to be. At the same time worry fills me, how can I help her when the thing hurting her is inside her?

Knowing now is not the time to figure out a plan I let this moment exist without thinking about anything else.  Cleo finally pulls back from me and stands us. I watch as her face turns from one of a scared girl to one that holds strength.

“ok, I’m all good,” She says while giving me a hand to pull me up. I look her over, she’s not al right but I have a feeling that Cleo is one to dwell on her fears. She fights them by taking them head on, not running from them.

Cleo

Once I’ve sorted out my mind I get up and together Winter and I walk out of the park. I smile to myself. I got problems, big problems but at least I’ve found my mate, and he’s not running away anymore. As we walk Winter asks, “so what do we do now?”

I give a shrug “I’m not sure, we can’t go pack to my pride Jay would have told everyone by now that I’m a dark shifter.” Winter give a humourless smile “yeah and my pack is out of the question considering they don’t exist anymore.”

We walk in silence, Winter lost in his thoughts while I try to figure out a plan. Eventually we decide to get out of the city. We can’t use our other forms here without attracting too much attention and we both feel threatened. Our senses aren’t as accurate in the city with all it’s noises and smells, it might mean we find it easier to hide but considering my pride has no clue where we are we’re safe for the time being.

We’re out in the suburbs walking down the path as we watch the sun begin to drop. “do you think we’ll get out of the city before nightfall?” I say while watching the sun dip lower in the sky.

Winter nods “yeah, we’re nearly there.”  The city never sleeps and it seems that the lower the sun drops the more people come out. I watch as a guy with two girls hanging off his arms walks past. A man on a motorbike zips by and music from a near by club makes the pavement vibrate form the deep base.

It turns out that winter was wrong about getting out of the city before nightfall. The extra person means that we have to move a lot slower than we would usually.

A huge group of partygoers are covering the walkway and to avoid having to shove through them Winter and I duck into a side street. The group walk by giggling and shouting and we’re about to step back onto the main path when a faint smell makes me stop in my tracks.

I grab onto Winters arm making him stop. “I can smell something,” I say in answer to his questioning stare. Winter takes a deep breathe and nods “I barely smell it but it does smell like one of us.”

I try to focus on the scent but the city is full of garbage, fumes and people that I can barely catch the scent again. A dark form walks in front of the alley entrance catching both Winter and I off guard.