Part 6 - To Washingon We Go

September thirteenth: the day that the Decathlon team and I leave for Washington... minus Peter. In the morning I acted like nothing had happened the previous night because I wasn't really in the mood to ask Peter where he had been and get into something.

Peter woke up early to help me finish packing as I hadn't really had time the previous night because of the party. I had left early with MJ, though, because Peter wasn't there and I had only gone for him. I had also waited up until he got back but didn't say anything and pretended I was asleep.

"Morning," Peter said when I let him into my room in the morning. "About last night..."

"Listen, Peter," I cut him off, making him frown. "Wherever you disappeared to last night - you obviously don't want me to know, I get it. I trust that you'll tell me when you're ready, whenever that is."

"Wow," Peter said, looking relieved. He flashed a grin at me and nodded his head, making me smile back. "Thanks, (Y/N)."

"Anything for you," we shared a quick moment of looking at each other's eyes before I shook myself back to reality, throwing some more clothes into my duffel. "Could I borrow a sweatshirt? All of mine are in the wash."

"Sure, let me go get one," I thanked Peter and he left to his room to get me a shirt while I headed to the washroom to take a quick shower and get all of my toiletries together. I put on my white t-shirt, tucking it into my black jeans and then grabbed my required yellow Midtown High blazer out of the closet, flinging it over my shoulder.

I quickly put some makeup over my arms to hide the scars and then studied my appearance in the mirror. I tilted my head to the side and decided that I should pack some mascara, blush and lip gloss for tomorrow so that I would look nice for the competition. I put some on anyways as a treat and then threw them into the bag that held the rest of my cosmetics. I let my hair hang loose but wore some elastic bands around my forearm for a just in case moment.

"You look nice," I heard someone say as I was zipping up my duffel. I looked up to see May standing in the doorway. I smiled at her and did a little twirl. She smiled back and then her eyes strayed to my arms. "Concealer?"

"Yeah, I'm not ready for everyone to know yet," May nodded understandingly. She walked over and gave me a hug which I gladly accepted. I hadn't even realised until she hugged me that I needed it and that I was stressing.

"You don't need to hide yourself, Sweetie," May said, pulling back and placing a hand on my cheek. "But if it makes you feel more comfortable than take all of the time that you need."

"I just don't want people to treat me differently or be known as 'the girl who tried to kill herself."

"I know," May kissed my forehead and pulled back, fixing a tuft of hair. "The Leeds should be here at any moment to pick you up."

As May turned to walk out, I felt I needed to say one more thing. "Thank you."

The woman who had so kindly taken me into her home when I was dying, scared and felt like nothing sent a sad smile my way and shook her head. "You really are the bravest girl I have ever met."

As she walked out, I felt a wave of confidence wash over me and I picked up my duffel, dropping it at the front door. As I stood back up, Peter came over to me with a half-eaten apple and his sweater.

"When I was going to give it to you, you were in the shower and I didn't want to go into your room without permission, so-"

"Thank you, Peter," I laughed at the boy and put the sweatshirt into my bag, pulled on my blazer and then slipped on some black converse. "I wish you were coming."

"So do I," Peter said with a frown. He shook it off and then looked me straight in the eyes. "Have a good time. I expect you and Ned to Facetime me tonight, and before and after the Decathlon."

"Will do," I smiled and hugged Peter, pulling away when I heard a car horn beep. "See you, guys!"

"Good luck!" both Peter and May called after me and I ran down the stairs, almost tripping on my way into the car with Ned. I waved up at the window where Peter and May were hanging out, then furrowed my brows as Peter turned around and walked away a little too hurriedly.

At The Bus:
We were all standing outside the bus, ready to get on with all of our stuff tucked inside when a brown haired boy came running up to us with the required uniform on for our Decathlon team and a bag.

"Peter?" I asked unsurely, making everyone turn his way.

"Hey, guys!" he said, a bit out of breath. "I know it's a bit late, but can I come back?"

"No way!" Flash objected, his eyebrows furrowed. "You can't just quit and then expect to be welcomed back!"

Just then, Mr. Harrington came marching out of the bus with a clipboard in his hand for roll call. He spotted Peter and smiled widely. "Peter! Welcome back!"

We all crammed into the bus, Peter and I sitting up at the front across from where Liz's stuff was. I sat in the window seat, as I was the first one on, and Peter had chosen to sit next to me. I suspected that it was just because Liz would be across from us, but he stayed when Liz got up to do trivia.