Part 9 - Unbelievable

After what felt like hours we were finally able to evacuate the building. The FBI used their helicopters to carry us down group by group and eventually, my group was up. In all the panic, the sky had transformed into a dark whirlpool of planets and constellations, almost as if the earth was giving us a small but beautiful gift to cope with our stress.

On the way down, I turned to face my friends who made it into my group; Ned, Flash and Liz. We were the last ones to escape our death so the others decided that we should leave last to 'cope with the trauma.'

Bull shit.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N)," Ned suddenly interrupted my viewing of the stars with an apologetic and guilty expression. I looked at the boy curiously.

"What're you talking about?" I asked, grabbing onto the side of the helicopter for support as it rocked.

"You almost-" Ned cut himself off with a choke and I realised what he was going to say. I almost died.

"Ned," I tried to comfort him but he shook his head, signalling that he wanted to finish.

    "It was because of me," Ned said, choking up again. My eyes widened and I immediately responded.

    "Of course it wasn't!" I said, practically throwing my arms up in the air.

    "But it was, (Y/N)," he pushed.

    "Don't blame this on yourself, Ned," I dismissed. "The elevator simply malfunctioned."

    "No, no it didn't ," Ned insisted.

    "But it-" the look on Ned's face made me stop. His eyes were dropped heavily and were full of truth. He wasn't lying, it was his fault. But how?

    "Ned?" I breathed, just as the helicopter came to a rough landing on the ground. The doors quickly opened and the agents rushed us out and before I got to say anything more, my name was called in the distance. I looked towards the source of the noise and before I could process anything I was pressed into a hug.

    My face hit someone's chest covered by a blue sweatshirt and it's scent filled my nose. I knew who it was and relief flooded my body, causing me to instantly hug back.

    "I was so worried," Peter whispered into my hair, pulling me tighter into him as if to reassure himself that it was really me which I didn't mind. We stood like that for a few moments when both of our names were called from somewhere near.

    I looked up to see May running toward the two of us and she too collided into us with her arms opened. She engulfed us in her arms despite the fact that she was only an inch taller than me and shorter than Peter, but that's the moment I knew; this was my family.

~~~

The school news boomed over the PA and TVs that were decorating the halls, telling the story of the Decathlon team's adventure that had occurred during the past two days.

    Abe and Charles appeared on the screen and I had to hold back my laughter from their over-exaggerated performance.

    "Thankfully, no one was seriously injured, thanks to the Spider Man," one of the announcers said in a monotone voice. "Thanks, Spider Man."

    I rolled my eyes, turning up the music playing over my phone as some students who were listening to the school news went to the liberty of clapping for Spider Man. Without me, that elevator might have actually fallen to the bottom and we would all be dead, yet all the credit goes to the 'Spider Man'.

    "Up next, the Spider Man mania is sweeping the school. How can you show your spider spirit?"

    The bell rang and I started to make my way to class, looking for Peter and Ned on the way. Even though they had made me feel so, so small, they were my best friends. Nothing could tear us apart - especially over something so small.

    As I got to the stairs to got to the lower level of the school, I saw the boys at the bottom. I was about to call out to them but realized that they were whispering because they were standing really close to each other. Either that or they were about to kiss. I assumed the first was the one that was correct.

    Before I got a chance to eavesdrop, Peter looked up and noticed me, smiled and then waved at me. I smiled back and skipped down the stairs, tugging out my earbuds on the way.

    "Hey, guys!" I said cheerily.

    "Hey, (Y/N)," Ned smiled worriedly at me, probably recounting what he had told me about us getting stuck being his fault. I nodded to let him know that my lips were sealed and he smiled wider. "So, time for class?"

    "I-I'm not going," Peter said, furrowing his brows.

    "What do you mean 'you're not going'?" I asked suspiciously.

    "You're already in enough trouble for ditching the Decathlon," Ned agreed, squinting his eyes.

    "Just listen. I think I-" Peter glanced at me and then immediately stopped himself. "Sorry, (Y/N). Would you mind giving Ned and I a minute?"

    In that moment, all of my pity and understanding drained from my body. I couldn't believe it. First, keeping secrets. Next, lying to me. And now straight up telling me to leave? I was done.

    "No, Peter, I can't 'give you a minute'." I said firmly, making both boys jump from my tone. They were used to me being calm and okay with them ditching me, but not anymore. "I've been doing that for the past few days and, honestly, I'm done with your crap. So you can either spit it out or watch me walk away. Your choice."

    Peter stared at me with his mouth slightly parted, not knowing what to say.

    "(Y/N)," he said after what seemed like forever, the hall completely empty of any other students. "I would love to, but-"

    "No buts, Peter!" I threw my hands up in exasperation. "Why is it so hard to tell me what's going on with you?"

    "Seriously, (Y/N)," Peter tried again but I wasn't having it.

    "Are you going to tell me or not?" I asked, my voice rising in fury.

    "Hey!" I heard from behind me. I whipped around to see a teacher at the doorway of his class. "Detention for the three of you for wandering around during class time. Now go!"

    I turned back to Peter slowly, my features softening slightly, my anger fading away. I could feel tears building up in my eyes, my disappointment seeping through my happy-girl facade.

    Peter just stared back into my eyes, tears building up in his own. And that's when I knew that he wouldn't be telling me anything anytime soon.

    "Unbelievable," I said, a tear falling down my face. I turned to Ned and slightly nodded before rushing off to class, the stares of my friends pelting into my back.

~~~

Hey, Lovelies! I hope you enjoyed today's long awaited chapter.
I'm sorry it took so long but to make up for it, I'll be posting the next chapter at some point before Friday.
Until next time :)