Part 26 - The New Avenger

"You know, this is actually a pretty great view."

Peter and I sat on the top of the closed Cyclone, a roller coaster in the amusement park, watching the agents and officers as they investigated the fiery landscape down below.

They had arrived on scene fairly quickly after we'd tied the Vulture to a container using Peter's webs. I'd suggested that we wait with him, but Peter didn't want to be confronted by Happy, so I opted to just sit and watch.

Peter sat against the flagpole on the top of the ride as I laid between his legs, resting my back on his chest. The beam we sat on was thin, so we were careful, but I knew that if we fell, we could catch ourselves. After all, we did have powers.

Pete hummed, "Yeah, aside from the beach being on fire."

I chuckled and fiddled with his hands that rested around my shoulders, "Fine, aside from the beach."

There was a nice breeze that blew against us, cooling us down and drying the sweat from our faces. We had both gotten hurt pretty bad, as I was sure I had a cracked rib and a concussion, and that Peter was about the same, and we were both covered in dirt. My hair was full of sand, as was Peter's, but for a moment, I didn't mind.

My mask had been long shoved back into my hoodie pocket, and I'd been glad to see that it wasn't too badly damaged.

"Thank you for coming to help," Peter mumbled suddenly with a swallow, "I don't think I could've done that without you."

"You probably could've," I said, staring off at the water, "I mean, you would've had to. But, from what I understand, Spider Man's pretty awesome, so I don't think you would've had a problem."

I felt Peter smile above me and he hugged me to his chest a little tighter. We sat in silence for another moment, until he spoke up.

"I need to apologize."

I hummed in confusion, "For what?"

"For lying to you about Liz."

"Right," I said, my body tensing slightly, "You don't need to apologize, Pete."

"No, I do," he disagreed, "That night with you on the roof was so amazing... And I messed it all up."

I sighed, feeling a small bump in my throat.

"Honestly, I think I was just angry with myself for keeping so many secrets, and then I thought you were with Flash, so I decided to get over you by asking Liz to Homecoming."

I nodded slowly, understanding a bit more, "But why didn't you tell me after? It wouldn't have been a big deal if you had because then I could've helped you."

"I know, I should've," Peter huffed, "I just thought if I kept it a secret and told Liz without you ever knowing then it would be easier. I guess I was way off."

I laughed a little, finally understanding his reasoning. If I could've gone back in time, maybe I would go back to school on that day and not react the way I did. But, even though it all went the way it did, it ended pretty well.

"I'm really, really sorry, (Y/n)."

"I know."

"Can you forgive me?"

I shifted in his arms and looked up at him, admiring the way they sparkled, even now when everything was a complete mess. Instead of saying anything, I sat up and leaned in, closing my eyes as my lips met his.

After a moment, I felt Peter relax and return my kiss. I brought my hand up to his face and cupped his cheek gently, the world seeming to melt away around us.