Part 18 - Day Seven - 2/2

Warning: All details on Lady Liberty were researched and not first hand as I have never been to New York City... Oops..

"I don't see how people find these hot dogs so good," I frowned as I chewed my lunch and we waltzed down the busy New York City streets.

"Food hater," Ned grumbled. I laughed at his antics and threw a fry at him.

"Food waster, too!" Peter teased. I shoved him in the side with my elbow and was surprised when he didn't flinch. I stared at him in confusion for a second and he looked over at me, his eyes widening. He jumped away suddenly and exaggeratedly, clutching his side. "Ow..."

Ned gave him a warning look and shook his head before shoving the rest of his hotdog into his mouth at my stare.

"What just happened?" I asked, my pace slowing slightly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Peter said before taking a bite of his hotdog and continuing to walk. I decided to brush it off since everything so far had been going so well.

"What time is it?" I asked Ned when he pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"Almost twelve thirty," Ned responded. My eyes widened and I sped up my pace.

"Where are you going?" Peter asked as he hurried up to match his pace with mine.

"I want to go see the Statue of Liberty," I explained as we walked. Ned began to pant behind me and I smiled apologetically at him but didn't slow. Peter pulled to a stop suddenly and caught my arm in his hands. His grip made me pause in my step and I turned to look at him with an eyebrow raised. "What?"

Peter smirked and then reached his hand out onto the road making a taxi stop.

"Did you actually know where we were headed to?" Peter laughed at my dumbfounded expression.

"Of course-" I took a second to think about my words. "-not?"

My friends laughed and I smiled as we climbed into the taxi, Ned and Peter first with me in hot pursuit. We squished into the back of the cab. Peter asked the cabi to take us to the ferries that would take us across the water to Liberty Island.

~~~

When we got to the dock, we paid the cabi and then for three tickets and were quickly ushered into the nearest boat. My friends and I traveled to the deck and I immediately went to stand by the rail, right near the edge. The farry started moving after a moment and picked up it's pace rapidly.

The wind from the lake's waves blew my hair back and brushed my face. The cool air made me shiver but I loved the way it felt. My cheeks began to sting slightly from the coldness of the water spray but I didn't care; it brought me back to that trip, many years ago, with my dad and step-mom. When everything was okay. When I hadn't almost died.

I got goosebumps on my arms - and not from the cold.

The sun sparkled against the brownish water, making it seem like a deep blue. Other boats around us contained happy passengers and I couldn't help but smile, as if the happiness was contagious. Unfortunately for me, nothing lasts forever.

I sighed contently and turned around to my friends.

"Isn't it beautiful..." I trailed off when I saw that Peter and Ned were standing a bit farther off and whispering to each other. They both had cautious expressions and kept glancing around them to make sure that no one was listening. Ned's eyes suddenly locked into mine and I'm sure I looked upset because his mouth stopped moving. He nudged Peter in the stomach, still looking at me, and smiled bashfully.