Part 12 - Day Two

Day two; Saturday.

I was woken up by the sound of my phone going off (again) but this time from someone calling me.

    "Hello?" I said in a groggy morning voice once the cold screen reached my ear. The clock on my bedside table read 10:07, and I was mad at whoever had disturbed my wonderful sleep-in.

    "Oh my Lord," Michelle's sarcastic tone echoed through the speaker and I could picture the sarcastic look on her face. "Did you honestly just wake up, (Y/N)?"

    "Maybe," I yawned, sitting up in my bed. I rubbed my eyes and took a sip of the water that rested conveniently beside me, my powers keeping it and my phone up as my hands were tying my hair back. "What's up?"

"We are going to Coney Island," MJ said. I could feel the uncharacteristic enthusiasm radiating off of her.

"Today?" I squinted at my wall. I had a very busy plan of doing nothing already and wasn't sure if I wanted to ruin that. "Can't we just do that when we go to NYC with the math team?"

"We could, but where's the fun in that?" I let out a small groan of annoyance. "C'mon, (Y/N). Flash, Liz, Ned and Peter are-"

"What time?"

~~~

To be honest, I'm not too sure as to why my spirits suddenly lifted when I found out that Peter would be going, too. It wasn't as if we were on the best of terms at the moment and I had no reason to act as if it were, so I was confused when I found myself in the back of Michelle's car, sitting on the right of Peter who had gotten stuck in the middle of Michelle and I.

    Because we were still all only 15, Michelle's parents didn't want us going around the city by ourselves. May especially perked up when I told her that we would be chaperoned and that she wouldn't have to come along. Apparently she had a lot of work to do, though I was doubtful.

    The car was quite cramped and I was glad to find that Liz, Flash and Ned would meet us there.

    "So, Peter, is it?" Michelle's mom asked from the front seat. She was a darker skinned lady with curly hair, much like Michelle's, and they both had a case of RBF, though her smile lit up her features. "Ellie talks very fondly of you."

    Both mine and Peter's eyes widened slightly and I could feel him shrink into me slightly.

    "It's Michelle, Mom," MJ said firmly, but she made no effort to correct her mom's statement that she was fond of Peter. A surge of something went through my body, and I couldn't help it when my powers raced into Michelle's thoughts.

    I could feel her embarrassment as if it were my own and her inner chatter consisted of her cussing at her mom and gawking over the fact that Peter's arm was touching hers. I furrowed my eyebrows slightly and looked out the car window to make sure no one noticed what I was about to do.

    I used my powers to see from Michelle's eyes and saw that Peter was in fact touching Michelle's arm, but not as much as I would have thought. The next thing I - well, Michelle felt was something that I identified as jealousy, but I couldn't figure out why, until Michelle said in her head, "Why do he and (Y/N) have to be so close? If it weren't for her, he might have noticed me by now?"

    What? I thought, confused, though Michelle's voice carried on.

    "He's always too busy wooing over her to take a second glance at me," she said to herself and I could feel anger seeping through her momentarily before melting into a kind of sadness. "I wish that she would at least acknowledge his feelings towards her. It's not that hard to see."

    This statement surprised me, and my mind snapped back to my own head, making me start. Peter and Michelle both turned to look a me, and I noticed surprise written across both of their faces but concern hidden in Peter's eyes.

    I suddenly felt a light blush coat my cheeks. Peter didn't like me. If he did, I would've noticed by now, right? I mean, we lived together, for heaven's sake.

    "Are you okay, (Y/N)?" Michelle asked unsurely. I nodded my head.

    "Y-yeah," I said, my eyes wide and avoiding Peter's carefully. "Just snapped out of a... deep... thought, is all."

    MJ shrugged and put in her ear buds, sinking down into the seat and I noticed her moving closer to Peter. I thought that he did too because he scooted closer to me, but not before I wondered if it was because of something else.

    "You sure you're okay?" Peter nudged my arm gently, bending down to whisper into my ear. Chills shot down my spine. I nodded again, unable to bring myself to words.

    After a car ride which had seemed like a war with infinity (see what I did there?), we reached Coney Island. Since the weather had still been slightly warm, we all brought our bathing suits with us so we could go for a swim.

    "Will they be here soon?" I asked Michelle who was texting with Ned. Apparently he, Liz and Flash had left around the same time so they would be arriving together.

    "Relax, (Y/N)," Michelle said, the coldness seeping through her voice. "You worry too much."

    "Yeah... right," I said. I sat down in the beach's warm sand and leant back against my elbows, closed my eyes and let the darkness cover me.

    "You, good, (Y/N)?" I turned my head and opened my eyes to see Peter sitting next to me. His hair was slightly pushed back and his eyes pooled with concern.

    "I will be," I smiled at my friend, and Peter smiled back. That was the first time I had began to notice things about him that I didn't before, and I wasn't sure why. Had his eyes always sparkled like that when he looked at people? Or me?

    "Hey, slow pokes!" MJ yelled from somewhere behind us. "They're here!"

    "We should go, hey?" Peter asked, but I was lost in his eyes. I was trying to figure out if it was his mouth or his eyes that were smiling. "(Y/N)?"

    "Yeah," I said, nodding my head. I bit my lip, and a warm sensation coursed through my body. "Let's go."

~~~

The rest of the day was filled with laughs and rides, splashes and tackles, and I had more fun than I had in a long time.

    I won't pretend that I didn't feel the tension, though, between everyone. I wasn't sure why it was there, but it was.

    But at the end of the day, I had a good afternoon, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

~~~

Hey, Lovelies!

I'm so sorry for the delay, and I feel so bad about it, but I really needed some time for me to relax and catch up with my emotional state.

Thank you so much for allowing me this time. I love you all and I will try to post again soon.

Until next time :)