Chapter 2

Just when Aldeheid thought he'd met all of Kitaya's associates, there were more waiting in the wings. Ever since they'd landed in Etheria, she had been shoving him in the face of every friend, acquaintance and colleague that crossed their paths. So many names and faces swirled together in his head, and he had no idea, which belonged to who.

He watched her across the room, speaking to a woman from Abydon – Videlia. He remembered her name only because she was the last person he'd been introduced to. He tore his eyes away from them looking around the large antechamber. Attendants whisked past him, carrying drinks and small bites of food. The room was alive with the chatter of hundreds of people, some familiar faces, some complete strangers.

Jayer and Jetei stood near the exit, speaking to Kemah, Kitaya's altori. Aldeheid had been avoiding them all night. Whenever Jayer came too close, he'd either make himself busy or walk to the other side of the room.

Leandyr lounged on one of the chairs, eyes closed, breathing evenly. According to Lady Hiroh, he was nursing injuries from a scuffle they'd had on the way here. Aldeheid guessed that meant there wouldn't be much in the way of training for him, which was probably for the best. After all the meetings he'd been subjected to, he was mentally exhausted.

He took a sip of his wine and immediately choked on it when someone clapped him on the shoulder.

"Long time, starry-eyed northerner." Tall, broad, massive claymore on his back. Aldeheid remembered the brute from Kitaya's one millennia party, but a name didn't come to him.

"Good gods, Siegfried, are you trying to kill him?" Kitaya strode towards them, the hem of her flowing skirt swishing around her feet.

Siegfried held both hands up in placation, backing away slowly. "My apologies, warrior maiden." He gave Aldeheid a curious look before heading to the settee Leandyr had turned into his bed. He dumped his massive body onto the vacant side, making it jump and jolting Leandyr awake. "Swordmaster, it's been a long time." He clapped Leandyr on the shoulder. "You owe me a rematch."

Leandyr's bloodshot, dark-ringed eyes, coupled with his scowl was a look that would probably kill a weaker man. "You know fighting me in this state is the only way you would have a chance of winning."

"There will be no sword fighting tonight," Lady Hiroh interjected. She came up behind the settee and laid both hands on her cape's shoulders. "We'll need to brief Gebarro before the dinner starts."

Leandyr reached both hands out towards her, like a child beckoning to his mother. "Carry me."

Ayzel rolled her eyes before taking his hand. A warm white glow suffused him, and one flash later, he was a bright red cape on her shoulders.

Aldeheid chuckled at them. He'd never seen Leandyr reduced to such a whimpering sop. But his smile soon disappeared when he saw who was approaching them. He downed the rest of his wine and beckoned an attendant for another. By the time the glass landed in his hand, he was face-to-face with Eriani and Kemah.

The Konian Queen only spared him a glance, as though that were all he deserved. Her partner and cape was more welcoming and offered him a warm smile. Aldeheid hadn't seen them in some years. They'd visited the island a while back, both to see Kitaya and to use the thin space to return to Kon. And Eriani had been just as cold and contemptuous then.

"Kitaya, when exactly do you plan on returning home?" Eriani asked. "Kon needs you just as much as this cause does."

Kitaya snorted. "Needs me for what? Because Mellidius abandoned you all? I'll be returning sooner than you think, but I have no intentions of playing politics with spoiled diplomats."