Chapter 20

Kon, 1,000 years ago...

Kitaya was no stranger to humiliation. With all the stupid things she'd done in her life, it was a wonder she was still capable of feeling embarrassment at all. But as the last of the medics left and the door clicked shut. A hot wave of shame crashed over her.

Twelve times she'd challenged Mellidius, and twelve times she'd lost. In front of everyone. By the third challenge she thought for sure everyone would've grown sick of seeing her make a fool of herself. But it seemed the crowds got larger and more rambunctious every time.

Despite her many defeats, the people were still very much behind her. They shouted words of encouragement at her whenever she walked through the city. While she was happy for the encouragement, she couldn't help but feel she was becoming a caricature of herself.

You shouldn't rush to seek your path, Kitaya. You may end up running down one that's not meant for you.

Perhaps Kemah had been right. She scrubbed at her face, wincing when she rubbed a sore spot on her cheek.

Ade sat beside her, examining her spear, grumbling something about making repairs to the shaft. Through this all he'd been her most avid supporter. Even when she got knocked down she could hear him in the stands screaming at her to not give up.

"Do you think if I made the spear lighter, that would help?" he asked.

Kitaya only shrugged a shoulder. She knew good and well there was nothing wrong with the spear. The problem was her. Her weakness. She just couldn't beat Mellidius.

Ade opened his mouth to say something else, but a knock on the door cut him off. Kitaya expected to see Isolde on the other side, as she always checked on her after matches. So she was both surprised and disgusted when Mellidius walked in instead.

His head and dominant were wrapped fresh bandages. In his hand, he held a black case decorated with gold filigree and rubies. He made eye contact with Ade, and the air crackled between them, both their faces contorting into masks of disgust

"What do you want?" Kitaya asked, her voice cutting through the tension.

Mellidius moved his gaze to her, and held out the case and though it were a peace offering. "Just take it."

She leveled him with her gaze while slowly reaching for the case. The metal was cool against her palms and the gems winked under the light of the hanging orbs. She laid it on her lap and popped the latches. Nestled inside were the Behemoth and its gauntlet, laying side by side.

She ran her hands over the spear, up the braided shaft to the tip whose blade was the size of a dagger. The gauntlet looked much too big for her hands and was probably filled with sweat and grime from Mellidius. She'd have to scrub it clean once she beat him senseless. Soon

"There," Mellidius said. "Now we can stop this nonsense. Do with the Behemoth what you will. I don't care." There was an air of finality to his words that was punctuated when he turned and headed for the door.

Kitaya closed the lid of the case and secured its latches. Just as Mellidius cracked the door she launched it at him.

"Argh!" he yelled when it bounced off his head. "What in damnation is wrong with you?!" He whirled with murderous intent glinting in his eyes.

"Don't insult me Mellidius." Her voice, in contrast was calm and soft. "We will 'stop this nonsense' when I beat you and become the bearer of the Behemoth. I don't care if it takes a hundred years or even a hundred millennia."