Chapter 7

Kon, 1,000 years ago...

The midday sun beat down on the sand pit, its oppressive fist not deterred by the rain clouds stirring in the west. The flowers and trees stretched their arms towards its rays, yearning for nourishment. And in turn, they offered their shade to those who sought reprieve.

Kitaya didn't care for it, as she saw the burning heat as no more than a mild irritant. Her resolve was stronger than a thousand blazing stars, especially when it came to her training.

"Use your whole arm," Kemah instructed. He stood near the edge of the pit, his practice spear in hand. "Remember, your body is the bow and your spear is the arrow."

Kitaya nodded and dug the balls of her feet into the sand as she drew back her spear. Her eyes were trained on the wooden target across the sand pit. She threw her weight into the throw, releasing her spear at the last possible moment. It ripped through the air, kicking up a cloud of sand in its wake, and slammed into the target with enough force to split it in two.

Kemah gave a long, low whistle, stuffing his hand in his pockets as he admired her handiwork. "I'd wager that throw could take out a small monolith."

She smiled, pride making her heart swell. But there was still some doubt lingering behind the pride. She couldn't train with Kemah indefinitely, and they were coming close to that time... The time when they'd be done. When Kemah would have nothing more to teach her, and she'd be left to twiddle her thumbs indefinitely.

"Is something the matter?" he asked.

Kitaya avoided his eyes. "There's actually something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

"Well, let's take a break then. We've been working all morning." He stretched his arms over his head as he walked to the terrace on the garden's north side. Kitaya shuffled behind, leaving a trail of sandy footprints in her wake. The morning sunshine had warmed the variegated tiles and the smell of blossoms permeated the air.

Kitaya sat opposite Kemah at one of the round stone tables, watching insects dart from flower to flower. An attendant came out, bearing light refreshments of fruit and chilled tea, but she only nibbled and sipped, worry scaring her appetite away.

Kemah cleared his throat. "Well? What's bothering you?"

"What is all this training for?" she asked, getting right to the point.

He scrunched his brow. "If I recall correctly, t'was you who asked me for training, so I assumed you already knew what you were going to do with it."

"Right," she said with a sigh. She tried to recall why she'd asked Kemah in the first place, but her mind drew a blank. She probably had wanted something to do outside of her private lessons with the castle's scholars. "I just... I mean, I'm getting stronger every day. And I'm satisfied with my progress. But I don't know what my end game is. What happens when you've taught me everything you can?"

Kemah shrugged. "That will be for you to decide, Kitaya." 

"But what if I can't?" she squeaked, her voice higher than usual. "What if I never decide? Then what? I'm almost two hundred Kemah, shouldn't I be... more involved? Shouldn't I know where I'm supposed to do? Where I'm going?"

"Again, that is for you to decide."

She worried her bottom lip. Thinking about her future made her stomach quiver with unease. Every place and position seemed out of her reach at worst and undesirable at best. "Couldn't you just pick for me?"

"And you will shoot down every choice I give you. I know you, child." He drained his glass of tea, his calm demeanor ever present. "You shouldn't rush to seek your path, Kitaya. You may end up running down one that's not meant for you."