Epilogue

"I see." Eriani sipped her tea, holding the floral blend on her tongue for a moment. "It seems Mellidius has gotten bold in his absence."

"I guess you can say that," Aldeheid said around a mouthful of food. He inhaled several chunks of roast hog as though it were his last meal, while Kitaya nibbled at a slice of spiced cake.

The two had returned to Kon hours ago and demanded an audience and meal with her right away. They were rough and haggard, looking as though they hadn't seen a good meal or a warm bed in centuries. With the summit only days away, the castle was abuzz with last-minute preparations, so they had to settle for a late dinner.

It seemed their trip to the backlands had reaped more than Eriani anticipated. Although most of it was already known to her. She'd been watching the Backlands carefully over the past four hundred years. That place was ripe for discord and rebellion so it was no reprise that the Vidaldi had made it their stronghold.

Mellidius, however, was a surprise. She'd heard murmurings of him being spotted in the backlands, but she'd thought he'd gotten mixed up with those degenerate bounty hunters, not the Vidaldi. It seemed her charge had firmly aligned himself with the enemy. Against his own nation. Against his Queen. How disappointing.

"I saw Ade," Kitaya said.

"So you did." Eriani crossed one leg over the next and leaned back in her seat. "He runs the western town, hm?"

"You knew he was there? This whole time?"

She held back her sigh. "I know everything that happens in this savanna." Ade had been in that town for over five hundred years, but only rose to the top position after dabbling in forbidden arts. Eriani made a note to keep an eye on him. If that power drove him to madness, he could become a threat to Kon. But she couldn't tell Kitaya that.

"Of course you do." Kitaya poured herself a cup of tea. "The Vidaldi may have strongholds elsewhere in the backlands. Perhaps we should call a truce with them and send in the Shujaa."

"No. I want nothing to do with those backland degenerates."

"What about Mellidius?" Aldeheid asked.

Kitaya scoffed. "I'll take care of that fool."

"No, you will not." Eriani didn't ascribe to Kitaya brand of taking care of people, and she needed Mellidius on their side, not in the grave.

"And who, exactly is going to stop me? Mellidius sealed his own fate when he sided with the Vidaldi. They attacked Kon, they took Aldeheid, and I'm supposed just leave him be? Not this time Eriani. I want blood."

"Kitaya—"

"No Eriani. Gods know if it were me out there, you would've sent Shujaa for my head. I understand Mellidius is your precious golden boy, but he has made himself an enemy of Kon." With that, she stood and tossed her napkin on the table before marching out of the room.

Eriani rubbed her eyes and feigned her exhaustion, even though she was still reeling from the fury of Kitaya's words. That girl didn't understand the power her tongue held, how deep her words cut into people.

She didn't know when or why their relationship became so contentious. Perhaps around the time Kitaya had completed her studies and was seeking a role within the day to day running of the nation. She lacked Mellidius tact and diplomacy and Nylarah's gentle and polite manner.

The girl was an absolute monster in the high court, never backing down to any of the lords or ladies, never afraid to strike the lowest metaphorical blow to put someone in their place. Gods knew many of them needed to be kicked headlong from their ivory pedestals. Eriani would've kept her there if her presence didn't cause so much conflict amongst the members.

Eriani realized far too late that Kitaya could not be tempered. Not necessarily a bad thing but she wished the girl wasn't so rash.

"Your Majesty?" Aldeheid cut into her thoughts.

She cut her eyes to him, arching a brow.

"I won't let her kill him. You have my word." His conviction was admirable, though misguided.

"And you honestly believe you can stop her?"

"No, but I can try. I will try."

The door swung open and Kemah walked in, regaled in the lightweight gear of flyers. "Sorry for the interruption."

"It's fine. I was just about to leave." Aldeheid inclined his head at Eriani as he stood. "Thank you for the meal and your time, your Majesty."

Eriani gave a dismissive wave and poured herself a fresh cup of tea. "Think nothing of it."

As the door clicked shut Kemah turned to her, rocking back on his heels with a crooked smile affixed on his lips. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were warming up to him." When she didn't answer, his smile split into a grin. "What changed? Did you finally realise he's not as incompetent as you thought?"

Eriani stirred more honey into her tea. "My disdain for Aldeheid had little to do with incompetence."

"Then what is it about him that brings out the worst in you?"

"Sit." She pat the chair beside him and he obliged. "This cannot leave this room. Swear to me on your honour."

"I swear on my honour, I will not tell a soul in this life or the next."

"Aldeheid is the harbinger for all that's happening with earth and Magika. He's an angel, Kemah." She sipped her tea, while he sat slack-jawed beside her.

From the moment she saw Aldeheid all those years ago, she knew calamity was at their doorstep. The last time an angel was spotted in Magika, the Millennia War soon followed. Though, this disaster was shaping up to be much worse, considering the gods were involved.

Kemah's shock wore of and he exhaled a long breath. "An angel? Are you sure?"

"Without a shadow of a doubt, my dear. But he's not just any angel. He's the prince of the beyond. The son of death." How fitting and almost poetic that Death's child would bring destruction to their doorstep. Had it not been for the spirits, Eriani would've been non-the-wiser. Expanding the military, Shujaa and stone legion was only part of her plan. She'd also doubled the wards on the out and inner walls and on the castle grounds.

And it wouldn't be enough. All the wards in magika wouldn't stave off a god.

"Does Kitaya know about this?" Kemah asked, turning to face her fully. "She calls him angel eyes."

Eriani shook her head. "She calls him that because he looks like Mercy. Considering he doesn't have and angel's name, I don't believe Aldeheid himself knows his true nature. I know that higher beings don't end up in our realm unless there was some serious trouble. I'm wary of him."

"We have an angel in our royal house. That is... equal parts amazing and terrifying." He laced his fingers behind his head and leaned back against the armrest. "I'm so curious now. How did he get here? Why does he have a mark? Where are his wings?"

"You and me both, but the spirits either don't know or won't tell me. I suppose that's for the best." She downed the rest of her tea and breathed a long exhale. "I should get some rest now. Tomorrow is going to be long."

"I'll join you after a bath. I'm filthy." Kemah planted a kiss on her head and disappeared through the door to their private bath house.

Eriani breezed through the beaded curtain that separated the antechamber from the main room and crossed to the window. Below her, the light of thousands of standing torches winked, turning Kon into a starry night scape.

Her Nation, her people, her burden.

She made it a point to savour this view whenever she had a quiet moment, whether it be from her office, chambers or the outer wall. Because with one sweep of a god's hand, it would all be gone.