Chapter 32

The Konian savanna was most beautiful from the sky. That was part of the reason Kitaya loved flying so much. High above a sea of green watching the flora, the fauna, the people. Watching life unfold beneath you. It was like being a god. But now, that faded into the background.

As the cloudwalker ran across the sky, her mind raced with all the possibilities of what happened to Aldeheid, where he could be. The best – and least likely – option was that he was at the town. The most probable option was that the Vidaldi had taken him somewhere, taken him prisoner, to torture him.

"Kitaya." Fukami's voice cut into her thoughts. "A little gentler, if you will."

Confusion left her speechless for a moment, then she realized how tight she holding onto Sora's fur. The white hair strained around her clenched fists. "Sorry." She loosened her grip and took a breath to level herself. Getting frazzled would not find Aldeheid.

"What's our plan of attack?" Jayer asked from the rear.

"I don't think it would be wise for Kitaya to return to the town," Jetei said. "Thebacklanders are not fond of Konian royals."

"You've been here before?"

"My family passed through this region a few times. The people here aren't the friendly sort, so we tried not to make a habit of it."

"I see." Jayer fell silent and Kitaya could imagine him deep in thought, brows furrowed eyes distant. "Alright, Jetei and I will go into town and see if Aldeheid made it back there. Kitaya, you should take Fukami to ruins and search for any signs of him."

A ripple of surprise settled in Kitaya's gut. "I thought you were more concerned with gathering information on the Vidaldi, Jayer."

"I did, but, and I'm sure you'll agree, finding Aldeheid is more important."

"To you?" Kitaya looked over her shoulder at him, eyes narrowed. "Up until a few days ago, he wouldn't even speak to you. What's your agenda here, Jayer?"

"It's the same as yours Kitaya." His brow furrowed, and he looked at her as though she'd kicked him.

But Kitaya didn't relent. Up until their battle at the border, he and Aldeheid were butting headsmore than two angry monoliths. "Then why not say that from the beginning? Why make it about the Vidaldi instead?"

He scowled and looked away, eyes locking on the southern horizon. "You know, there was a time when I would call him brother. Before the fighting, before he became Sahn Cera. I was the first charge of the Wylerra's royal house. The castle was big and empty, and Baldavin wouldn't let me play with the servant children."

Kitaya frowned, but didn't interrupt him. Aldeheid and Jayer were alike in that getting them to speak of their past was as difficult as keeping a Lyberra grounded. It wasn't something they'd do without either a fight or the right conditions. And it seemed this day, conditions were favourable.

"I was alone for a long time. Until Aldeheid came along. At first I was only allowed brief visits to see him, but as he grew, I took him around the castle, taught him how to blush the leaves on the winter trees. We would steal sweets from the kitchen and sit in the gallery to watch the snow fall. I taught him to play Tactica, and before long he was beating me every single game."

"What changed?" she asked.

Jayer's scowl deepened. "Aldeheid was chosen as Baldavin's heir. And from then on, we grew apart. He was always in lessons and lectures and meetings with the council. It was then I grew bitter towards Baldavin. He took away the one friend I had. The one brother I had."

"And you've been trying to reach out to him, because you want that back?"

Jayer shrugged a shoulder. "I opened up the chasm between us. I want to close it. To think, just when we'd found some common ground, he goes and does this."