Chapter 9

Aldeheid looked down at his cards, then at the board, then at Kitaya. They'd been playing this game of Tactica for over two hours. The landscape rolled by them as Bellyn continued her march east, towards Kon. They were atop her back, sitting with the Tactica map setup in the soft patch of grass that surrounded the tree.

Even after spending a night stop it's back, Aldeheid couldn't help but marvel at the creature. It was like being atop a moving hill. It felt as though he could touch the sky if he reached up. And he did, he reached up and cradled the savanna sun in the crook between his thumb and forefinger.

“Getting distracted, angel eyes?” Kitaya had a hand in the bowl of ether stones at her side, the other holding her cards. With her brow furrowed and her lips pressed in a thin line, she was the epitome of concentration.

“Not at all kitten.” He turned his attention back to the game, his eyes going over the board for the umpteenth time. If his predictions were correct, he'd win this game within the next three turns.

"Alright." She looked him dead in the eyes, as though she knew she had him beat. "Arrow Volley." She slotted three ether stones into the slots on the back of the wooden card, and set it in the offensive card slot on the board.

Tendrils of blue light rose from the card and wound around the archers. The figurines came to life, nocking their bows with arrows of white light. Upon release they arched over the board and rained on Aldeheid's figures, a few of which went dark with death.

He leaned back in his palms and regarded Kitaya with a smile. "I win."

"Don't you dare start with that nonsense. I just took out half of your front line," she said, gesticulating at the board. "Make your damn move."

"Fine." He rolled the dice and it landed on six. Which was more than he needed. He slotted all into his dragon siege card and slotted it. His dragons came to life and rained blazing, hot fury over her figures, but a shimmering barrier came over them.

"See, I told you."

"Not so fast, my dear." Aldeheid gave her a sly smile. "Yes, that Golem Defense made you impervious to damage for this turn, but you can't advance on your next turn. And since you used your last arrow volley, you have nothing that can reach me."

"That still doesn't mean you'll win. I'll be able to move one turn after that and—"

"And by that time, I would've already reached the high ground, which will give me a thirty percent damage boost." He showed her his advance gambit card and her lips twisted into a scowl. "I still have one cannon volley and one dragon siege."

Kitaya picked up the tiny, white flag and slammed it in its slot with more force than necessary. Her figures went dark. "This game is stupid."

Aldeheid flinched, expecting her to upend the table like the last time, but she only twisted her lips with disgust.

Jetei chuckled. "Get more practice. You'll beat him eventually."

Aldeheid had forgotten he was on the sidelines watching.

Kitaya rose and stretched her hands over her head. "I need to stretch my legs a bit." She clapped Aldeheid on the shoulder. "I'll get you next time, angel eyes."

As she disappeared behind him, he began picking up the cards and packing them away.

"That's Wenry's set up you were using." Jetei's voice was barely audible.

Aldeheid's hand faltered as he picked up a dragon figurine, and it plummeted into the grass.

"Can we speak for a moment?"