Chapter 41

These backlands were a far cry from Kon. Where the lavish Kingdom was all lush fields and open plains, the backlands were dense forests ripe with humidity. Aldeheid held the tree trunk tight as he surveyed the area. Don’t look down. To the west, tendrils of smoke curled to the morning sky. The town. Or a town.

Relief cooled his body like a gentle breeze. At least civilization was within reach. Walking for days through the dense foliage with no means of food, water or shelter would’ve been grueling. He needed only get down and make the short trek.

Climbing the tree hadn’t rattled him as much as he thought, but… He looked down, and vertigo gripped him by the throat, squeezing hard. Dear gods. He squeezed his eyes shut and swallowed the bile pooling in his mouth.

One branch at a time. No rush. Aldeheid took and breath before taking the first step down, wiggling his foot until he found something solid to step on. When he pressed his weight down, his foot slipped and the world went sideways. Head over heels, he tumbled through the air before slamming into the bushes below, the branches scratching and digging at his skin.

Footfalls sounded in the distance, and he swore under his breath, scrambling to his feet. He spun on his heals with his hands extended and a spell on his tongue.

“Aldeheid?” Jayer stood before him with mouth agape and eyes wide. Jetei say on his shoulders in cape form.

His arm dropped to his side. “Jayer… What are you doing here?”

“Looking for you. We've been turning this place on its side. Kitaya’s been worried sick and miserable since you went missing.”

"Kitaya? She's alright? Where is she now? Do you know?" The questions escaped his lips in a frantic rush.

"She's back at the town." He extended a hand. “Come, I'll take you there now.”

Aldeheid clasped forearms with him as he whispered a spell. The ground disappeared and wind rushed in his ears. A blink later they stood in the middle of the town. Before them a building loomed, blocking out the morning sun. He looked over his shoulder and found the familiar street he’d walked when he first arrived in the backlands. The Stone viper sat not far down the road, door and windows shut tight and smoke curling from its chimney.

“Right this way,” Jayer said.

Aldeheid followed him into the vestibule and the scents of cooked meat and tea slammed into him, forcing an audible groan from his stomach. They went to the source of the scent – a dining chamber where a man sat alone at the low table. He glanced up at them, gaze lingering on Aldeheid for a long moment before her returned to stirring his tea.

“Ade, where’s Kitaya?” Jayer asked.

“Gone.” He rapped his stirrer on the glass and pointed it at Aldeheid. “Who is this?”

Jayer swore. “What do you mean she’s gone? Gone, where?”

“Who is this?” Ade repeated, a puff of fog escaping his lips.

Aldeheid frowned, gooseflesh raising on his skin. A quiver settled in his gut, but he wasn’t sure what triggered it. “I’m Aldeheid. Kitaya’s magician.”

“You have horrible timing.” Ade sipped his tea. “Kitaya went south, to the next town over to continue her search. It’s about a half a day’s walk due south, but knowing her, she’s likely running and will be there in short order. You’d better hurry if you want to catch up.”

“Great. Come on Aldeheid.” Jayer led him back through the hall, meandering through the building until they were outside again. “Fukami!” he yelled, turning his gaze skyward.