Chapter 36

For every cape there is a magician, and for every magician a cape. Kitaya traced the jagged lines on the back of her marked hand. A joined mark was the embodiment of Magika's oldest tradition—the bond.

After five hundred years on her own, she'd resolved that she would be a magicianless cape for all her days and contented herself with remaining unbounded. Every magician that crossed her path hadn't earned a second look from her. Until she met Aldeheid—the bumbling fool who'd unwittingly ventured into her orchard.

She'd gone from pitying him to being intrigued by him in the space of a few weeks. There was a spark of something in him that she wanted to uncover. Though, she may never get the chance to do that now. She may never see him again.

Kitaya pressed the heels of her hands against her eyes to push the dark thoughts away. He's still alive, she reminded herself. And so long as he was alive, she could find him.

She tossed the thin blanket from her body and got out of bed, crossing to the open window that afforded her a view of the town. The morning air was crisp against her damp skin. The town still slept below her, save for the few guards milling about. In Kon, the market would be bustling by now, but this place didn't see the magnitude of travelers her home nation did.

Her fit itched with the urge to go somewhere, do something. She could stand here being idle while Aldeheid was still missing. She needed to get some air, clear her head. Rethink her plan of attack.

Kitaya left the room and wandered the corridors until she found steps down to the ground floor. The scents of meat frying and bread baking drifted up to her, reminding her that she hadn't eaten much since breakfast yesterday.

She followed the scents to the main foyer and through one of the many branching corridors, until she reached an open door. Conversation drifted out, mingling with the scent of food. She lingered by the door, but stayed out of sight.

"It seems as though our interests align," Ade said. "Though they may be sorely disappointed once they learn Mellidius is working with the Vidaldi."

Kitaya leaned her head against the wall. Jetei had pointed that out as a possibility, but hearing it was true... Or maybe it wasn't. Maybe they were speculating. Mellidius was a bastard, but he wouldn't work for people who would threaten his home.

Would he?

"You trust these people?" The guildmaster's voice held a hint of disgust that warped her accent.

"I trust Kitaya. She wouldn't be out here without good reason." A beat of silence followed. "Unless that reason is eavesdropping."

Kitaya's shoulders tensed. He couldn't have seen her. Or perhaps she'd been careless. She stepped out of hiding, and into the dining chamber. "My apologies."

Ade half sat, half lounged by the low stone table that dominated the room, the cooked leg of some animal in one hand. Oshun was across the table from him, sitting on her heals with a cup of steaming liquid at her lips. She kept her eyes away from Kitaya, but her back was ramrod straight and her shoulders stiff.

"Good morning," Ade said, and pat the empty bit on animal pelt rug beside him. "Join us."

She didn't move from the door. "Have you seen Jayer and Jetei? Or Fukami?"

He looked at her for a long moment, a small tendril of fog escaping his mouth to curl up to the ceiling. "The flying one is outside somewhere, and the nomad and his partner haven't risen from their bed yet. Will you be joining us, or...?"

"Alright." She settled down beside Ade, keeping her distance, but not missing the small chortle of laughter from the guildmaster. While Ade went back to munching on his food, she poured herself some tea.