I can't let her down

A few years past, I'm 9 now. And things only got worse for me.

I'm in third grade now, but in a different school. We moved to a better place for reasons I dont know why. We lived in a really nice two story house that had two big rooms. One for me and one for my parents. I was really relieved that we were moving. I thought that this will be it. I'm going to make some friends. A good fresh start for me. I thought nothing could go wrong if I smiled, try to socialize more, try being kind, and to my luck, it worked. I was surprised and happy to have some friends finally. Felt like it took forever to get some.

It was close to the day ending at school. I was in class talking to my one friend. He was a zombie and his name was Greg. "So, wanna come to my house again on Saturday? We can pway my new game!" He had a speech impediment. "Totally, dude! What game is it?" "Red Dawn!" "Dude, that game is so bloody!! How did you get it?!" I ask with wide eyes and a big smile on my face, wanting to leave the class that second and go to his house. "I bought it with my own money. My mom didn't even know that it's a bloody game!" "You're so lucky!"

I was jealous of him having that game, but I was glad he was a loyal friend. I didn't want to steal the game from him or do anything to hurt him. Especially him. He was an only child like me. His mom and dad we're great parents like mine, but they were kinda rich, which is somewhat rare for zombies.

The bell rang and I walked to the front of the school with Greg, talking more about what we would do at his house on either Friday or Saturday. We make it to the front and wait for our parents. After 10 minutes of waiting, I see my dad's car. "There's my dad. I'll see you tomorrow, Greg. Bye!" "Bye luci!" I smile and start running to my dad's car. I open the door, throw my backpack in, and get in the car. "How was school?" My father asks, with his deep, soothing voice. "Great! Is it okay if I go to Greg's house on Friday or Saturday if his mom says its okay? Maybe spend the night?" "I'll talk to your mother about it when we get home. I'm sure she'll say yes." " Okay" I smile and look out the window. My dad starts the car and we start to make our way out of the parking lot which took awhile. We finally got out and started going home.

I looked out the window and up at the sky that was filled with colors and looked soft to me. But something catches my eye. I saw something big coming at me really fast. My eyes widened and I felt my heart drop. "DAD!-" Dad, was the only thing I got to say. I felt a force push me to the window and then onto the other side of me. I screamed and I ended up being slumped over on the seat, almost laying down. The last thing I heard was a loud crash of metal hitting against each other, a piercing screeching sound, a car alarm, and a hissing sound before blacking out.

I'm in my mind now, not seeing anything but darkness. I remember hearing a siren and feeling myself rock around a bit. I also remember hearing a man's voice echoing but it was very faint. I couldn't really understand what he was saying. I tried and tried but I ended up blacking out again.

I see a bright light that hurts my eyes and brain. It causes me to hiss in pain and look away. I groan and hear someone gasp. I look to see that it was my mom with tear lines down her cheeks and her looking like an absolute mess. A side of my mom I've never seen before. She goes over to me and holds my hand while crying and sighing in relief. I look at her hand and see that I'm wearing a cast on my left arm. I manage to hold her hand back with what strength I have. "What happened to me..?" I ask very weakly, putting much effort in moving my jaw and lips. "You and your father..." Her eyes get watery even more and tear drops go down the lines of tears on her cheeks and to her chin. She tries to calm herself down so she can speak. She sighs deeply and shaky. ".. You and your father got into an accident..in the car..."

I couldn't believe it. I thought I was too young to ever be in something like this. I thought this sort of thing was rare and it only happening to grownups since they're the ones driving. I was too weak and young to process something like this.

"Where's daddy...?" And that's when I knew it. The second my mom started to cry again but more this time while saying his name, I knew I had lost my father... I began to cry with my mom, crying that I had lost my father, because my mom was crying, and crying because that means we're both going to be sad forever.. Now I only have one person to rely on. One person to come to when I need help, love, food, clothes, everything. One person..I can't lose so soon.. I can't lose her at all.. I need her.. And she needs me.. I can't let her down.