Chapter Twenty-Four

Siobhan opened her eyes at the first touch to her throat. Instincts sent her hurling the body on top of her onto the ground. In a second the dagger she kept hidden under her pillow was in hand and she was to her feet. An orange glow seeped in from the holes in the curtain, illuminating the room in a dull blaze. She snarled as her attacker pushed himself back to his feet and lunged for her. She barely registered the shine in Wren's eyes before he was on top of her again, hands clamoring for her throat.

"I'm getting really tired of you trying to kill me, moron." She kicked her bare foot hard against his stomach, forcing him off her. Wren snarled like a feral animal and pounced. Siobhan rolled away, holding her blade close so not to cut him. It was the first time she'd awoken to him trying to kill her, but it wasn't the first time since they left Esa'drago she found him not in control of himself. He'd tried to kill her many times during their travels she was just always awake to see it happening. It was far too frequent for her liking and trying to hide it from the dragon wanting to kill him was becoming harder.

She grabbed the pitcher of water off the rickety nightstand and splashed it in his face. Unlike the last time he attacked, the water didn't jolt him back to normal.

"Dammit." Siobhan tossed the metal pitcher at his head when he lunged for her. It clanked against his temple, causing him to stumble back but only for a moment. He growled, smacking his lips, eyes glowing red. Wren crouched down, fingers wiggling, studying her. Siobhan stepped back toward the door, contemplating running for Jaeda. If he didn't snap out of it this time, she wasn't sure there'd be a choice. "Come on Wren, come back to me."

He followed her movements, keeping himself in direct line with her. Siobhan flexed her hand against the hilt of her dagger. One flick of her wrists and she could embed it into his flesh like it was nothing, but she also didn't trust she'd make contact. Wren in his otherwise feral state had reflexes that exceeded her own. Getting the upper hand on him even once hadn't been easy.

"Wren, it's me. Your friend."

"No friend. Die." He growled and wiggled his nose.

When he lunged again, Siobhan quickly ducked out of the way, cursing herself when she stupidly gave him access to her only escape. The window in the small room of the Drakewood Inn wasn't nearly wide enough to fit a body through. It was a fact that had annoyed Siobhan when they made arrangements to stay there indefinitely. The long-term rooms weren't nearly as large or comfortable as the rooms for those simply passing through the woods. Not that many people were naïve enough to travel through the Drakewood forest for no reason so they needed more enticing accommodations to stay a night. The rest of them were already suckered into staying.

"Wren, please fight it. You have to fight it. Don't make me call for Jaeda."

Wren snarled. Both hands extended from his sides. Flames ignited on his fingers, coating his hands in rolling fire. Siobhan raised her free hand, bringing her ice to their tips. He was going to burn the entire place down if she couldn't get him back to her. Her eyes focused on his flames. They followed the movement of the fire dance, watched as it licked his wrists and left no mark. At the first sign of his hand moving, Siobhan flicked her wrist and countered the flame with her own ice. It had no effect. The flame burned right through it and hit the wall, flaring fire against the wood instantly.

Siobhan tried again, hoping to muster more ice to choke the life from the flame. It had no effect. She screamed when his flame brushed her arm, searing her skin. Fighting Wren was impossible when she was doing everything in her power not to actually hurt him.

"Give it to him only when he truly needs it."

Siobhan frowned at the voice of Lady Lenore filling the room. Her eyes darted away from Wren to look for the hag lurking somewhere, anywhere, but there was nobody. It was a movement that cost her with another lash of fire striking against her legs. She didn't have a chance to duck out of the way and the fire hit her straight in her knee. Siobhan cursed and reached for her leg.