-18-

I sat with Blaine by the fire, he was calling our friend who we had met with yesterday. He was complaining about the brains we gave him, to be fair to the guy, they were from a holocaust survivor. "She was a classical violinist. Go out and impress some ladies." Blaine suggested, and I took a sip of my drink. "Natalie's not available." There was a long pause after that, and Blaine threw the phone onto the table. "What did he say?" I asked, and he sighed. "
"Well, he wants Natalie. Until I figure it out he's threatening to publish a new story."
"Then who would he get his brains from? Next time I'll just sort him out through his undead brain." I stated, leaning back. "What's the plan for today?"
"Well, my old carer and a lawyer are coming over in a bit, to hear my dad's will." He replied, I took his hand.
"I'll cook some new recipies downstairs and chill with Don E and Chief."
"No, I want you to be there. Come on, let's get ready, they'll be here soon."

Sure enough they were, around half an hour later, we were waiting and Blaine was pulling a face at the car that parked on the drive, it was clearly surveillance, police surveillance. I looked up as an elderly woman and the lawyer walked in. "Still the insolent boy." She spoke up, and Blaine turned.
"I blame my upbringing. Clearly I wasn't beaten enough as a child." He chimed, walking forwards.
"It remains my greatest regret." The woman stated, as Blaine swung around the corner.
"Really? So you're over losing out to Eva Braun, huh? Why has my father's domestic help joined us for the reading of his will?" Blaine looked behind her, to the lawyer.
"It was a stipulation he requested. And it won't be a reading. Not exactly." He looked at me, "I suppose you're joining us?" He asked, turning the woman's head too.
"Yes, she will. Frieda Bader, this is my girlfriend, Jessica. Jess, Frieda." Blaine introduced, I went to shake her hand, but she just glared.
"Alright, remind me not to bother being nice in future." I muttered, before leading them to sit down.

The lawyer produced a laptop, and set it on the table. We all sat around, I behind Blaine on the back of the sofa. On the laptop, a video of Angus appeared. "To my dear friend, Frieda Bader, who has served me loyally for 35 years, I leave $10 million and the Lake Como estate." As the video played, Blaine stared at her in hate, and she smiled at the announcement. "And why not? She only starved your son to punish him for tracking in mud. Gave away his dog when he was caught shoplifting bubblegum." Blaine spoke up, clearly annoyed.
"And you still believe that barking, shedding mutt was given away. You never wondered why the rose bush in the south garden grew so fast and full?" Frieda questioned, I watched Blaine tense, so I leant over, rubbing his shoulders slightly.

"To my son, Blaine.." The video was cut short by Don E and Cheif walking in.
"Blaine. Jess." They spoke up, causing the video to be paused. "Old Man Newcombe's on the phone." Don E informed, looking at us.
"Handle it." Blaine ordered.
"Says its urgent." I went to turn away, but Blaine gripped my hand, wanting me to stay. I looked back, and shook my head. "Fine. We'll handle it," the pair walked back downstairs, and we all turned back to the screen, Blaine gestured for it to be played.

"To my son, Blaine, I leave the balance of my assets. The houses in Seattle and Maui, the cabin in Whistler, controlling shares in Vantage Elite Properties. In the following circumstances, however, this section of the will becomes null. If my death has resulted from foul play...then all of my assets will be awarded to Frau Bader, and her descendants, should she not outlive me."

At this, Blaine leant forwards, stopping it. "He can't do this." He stated, letting go of my hand.
"A prescient man, your father." Bader smiled, standing up, clearly happy.
"He was murdered by a serial killer." Blaine continued to argue.
"Or anyone with a can of spray paint. Liquidate everything. Deposit all funds to this account." After handing over an envelope, she walked out. I walked up to Blaine, trying to calm him, but he shook me off. "I'm contesting this." He stated.
"You're welcome to. But I can assure you, it's legally binding." The lawyer said no more, before following in Bader's footsteps.