Zalgo

Chapter Eight

I opened my eyes then squeezed them shut again as the bright sunlight streaming through the windows almost blinded me. Strong arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer with a mumble and I chuckled, nuzzling up against my boyfriend's warm body, eyes still closed.

"Mornin'," he drawled in that husky voice of his and my stomach instantly got butterflies. We lay like that for a few more minutes, just breathing and holding each other. Finally, after what felt like an eternity he placed a light kiss upon my forehead and got out of bed leaving me to curl up into the thick warm covers once more, loving the smell of him and trying to absorb the warmth he left behind.

This was the only part of my day that ever truly felt real.

My day always began like every other day that followed. I always woke up in an incredible mood; the happiest I've ever been. In fact, I couldn't remember a time when I was anything but happy. I didn't have a care in the world, except for him of course.

I would always be being lifted from the bed by his strong arms and I'd laughb but no sound would came out. I would squirm against his hold as he held me captive, but I never really wanted to be free.

His dark hair would fall across his face and I'd settle, smiling up at him as he set me to my feet.

"What would you like to eat?" He'd always ask in that voice.

This time when I looked into his eyes, my smile faltered. Something was different. I couldn't see his eyes. They were there yes, they had to be... but I could not remember what they looked like.

His eyes. Yes, yes! They were blue.

That's what my mind told me, but now looking up at his blank features I shook the thought from my mind. Of course they weren't blue. He is just the same as he's always been with his purple iridescent eyes.

"Cereal," I answered simply, and he left the room.

Going over to the mirror along the far wall I studied my features, as I've always done. My hair has grown some, I think. I couldn't quite remember how long it was the first time I woke up. Piling it on top of my head in a messy bun, I then went to take a warm shower and when I exited the bathroom he was waiting.

As always, fresh clothes were already chosen and laid out on the bed for me to change into and he was sitting, patiently waiting for me to get dressed.

I let the towel fall to my feet. He is my husband after all and he'd seen my body countless times before. His posture never shifted, not even slightly. I could hardly tell if he was seeing me or not.

Time moved so slowly now. Days dragged on and on, until I couldn't tell when it was anymore. But what did it matter, I was happy.

I was dressed after a while and led to the table. A bowl of cereal was placed before me along with toast, eggs, and a few other assortments. I sat and scooped a spoonful of the colourful shapes to my mouth.

While it looked appetizing I was unsure how to describe the taste. It was like eating air.

Still, I was ecstatic. This, being here, felt perfect. It was a calm I had not experienced before.

After breakfast was the long walk we always took by the beach. I was barefoot but still felt nothing.

Not the wind on my face as it whipped my hair this way and that, not the sand between my toes or even the water as the waves crashed and sent the glistening water washing over my feet and legs.