Truth

Chapter Nine

6 Years Earlier

"Are you sure you still wanna come?"

I looked over at CJ warily from my spot on the couch as I paused typing. I had an essay to finish in three days and this was also the day of his parent's annual family reunion. He'd been constantly pressing me about whether or not I wanted to go because I already had so much on my plate and his family was just going to be more stressful.

I took a moment to inspect his face, unlined and sculpted features with deep-set blue eyes and a firm mouth, his eyebrows furrowed in worry as he slowly paced back and forth in the living room.

He really was the most attractive man I'd ever laid eyes on and although he had the figure of someone who worked out as if their life depended on it, he was so sweet and soft and gentle in ways only I would know.

A smile slowly etched itself onto my lips and I placed my laptop on the coffee table before getting up from the couch and going over to wrap my arms around his waist. He hesitated a bit before enveloping me in his warmth and bending his head down to kiss the top of mine.

"You know I wouldn't miss it for all the money in the world."

"You're right," he said in the softest voice as if to convince himself because I'd had this talk with him so many times before, "it's just-"

"Shh," I placed a finger on his lips, looking up at him with a huge grin, "you know you want me there because you're awkward around large gatherings anyway. I swear if you bring it up again I'm going to bite you."

I could almost see his eyes sparkle at that and his arms tightened around me ever so slightly.

"Promise?" his voice was partly a growl and I let out an embarrassing laugh that ended in a snort.

"Jesus, I can't believe you guys."

We jumped away from each other quickly at the sound of Tamara's voice from the kitchen, turning to see her entering the living room. I'd almost forgotten she was home too.

CJ scratched the back of his head awkwardly and I rolled my eyes at Tam for interrupting a possible makeout session with my hot boyfriend.

I was so glad we'd be getting our own apartment soon.

"Mom said she'll be home in ten minutes so-"

"I know, I know," I rolled my eyes again and took CJ's arm looking up at him again, "Time to go."

There were a few reasons why I hadn't already told my family about our engagement but the main one was that both my mom and dad were heavily religious and CJ, however soft he was, seemed like the devil incarnate to them with his tattoo sleeves and lip piercing.

We'd been close ever since we were kids, having play dates and bible study together but once we hit high school CJ and I had other ideas and my parents blamed him for my rebellious stage and forbade me for seeing him but even that didn't stop us and we dated from ninth grade well into our final year of high school. I was planning on telling Mom and Dad soon that we had gotten engaged. He'd bought me a ring but I kept it hidden in a secret box in the attic.

We walked slowly down the driveway, his large hand holding mine as the street lamps guided our footsteps accross the street to his house where we stopped at the door.

He heaved a sigh and cupped my face with his free hand, using a thumb to gently brush against my lips.

"So..." he trailed off as I looked up at him expectantly.