~1~

...the hope that one day this weakened bond between the pair was not for total loss.

Dumbledore sighed.

Staring at the nonchalant reflection in the mirror was a reminder of the hopelessness he was destined to face eventually.

His rival. His friend. His lover...

Gellert Grindelwald, the man whom he'd shed his heart, subconsciously knowing it was never going to last. For love divides the temporal void between power and loss. It was always power that Grindelwald truly believed in.

The man staring back at him with his fiendish, platinum-white hair, wore a scowl as he presented his face in front of Albus.

What could he do but stare back at the desire he had once had. Loved but then lost the only true desire of his heart before the tragedy of his sister.

Knowing her death had not changed the feelings he had for Gellert. Had not wavered his desire to his family, for Grindelwald had felt like family. Touching the very depths of his heart that he himself had not previously known of.

He forced his gaze away.

For a split second, the brief knowledge of dark magic came flooding back. You can't trust him, Albus...

But then it was gone.

All he saw was Gellert. His cheekbones sharply extending his jawline, his arched shoulders, by the way he unwittingly felt at ease. As well as the brief curved smirk he always gave Albus when they'd agreed on something...

It was never a smile.

However much Albus loved Gellert, his smiles were never truthful. The smirk was the closest, as that at least showed Albus he was happy. Always devious, but happy.

The mirror had always felt like a scapegoat. Hiding behind the congressional society of ministry magic, Albus had no intention of strictly following from a young age, with the mind-sight of Grindelwald, it was easy enough to rebel against.

The memory of their childhood hurt. Hurt like hell, with the treachery and lies. Even if they'd had that summer...

Albus tried to shake it off. The memory. It was harder than he'd thought. Holding this weight on his shoulders for just under 30 years. Not letting go. Not knowing how or when to move on, yet...

When the second face appeared in the mirror, Albus knew he was never going to let it go.

The adolescent years of Gellert and himself mirrored back like a reflection. It was he staring at the memories he once had, and the feelings that he still held.

Even though it was probably worse back in 1898, Albus saw the look on his younger selfs face, pressed against the glass that held onto Grindelwald hand.

A wanting look. It was painful to watch, but glued to the images, he couldn't look away.

When the tears started to form in his eyes, Albus turned on his sleeve, rubbed his face, and sighed out of heartbreak.

He breathed out again, watching the images fade, falling like sand to the bottom of the mirror before evaporating completely.

Albus held his hand up to the glass once more, this time only holding his own reflection as an ordinary mirror should show, and whispered into the frame...

"For the greater good, my dear friend."

~~~
So first chapter, not too bad...I know it's a bit short but I wanted to get more feeling and emotion into this one.
Not as much storyline, but more to come, eventually.