~12~

It had been difficult to understand the length of Gellert's admiration for him. Albus knew that the man was a complex anomaly in the world which severed the magic and non magic worlds.

Gellert was a man of a thousand myths, all of which Albus would know which were real and which were fantasy.

Albus tilted his head back. Thoughts drifting in and out of his consciousness.

Lying in bed, he felt alone. This time more than ever because he'd again experienced the bewilderment and fascination that came with loving Gellert Grindelwald.

It had only been 3 days, but having not talked since their night together, the room felt empty without him. Nevertheless, he was so much happier than he'd been in a long, long time.

With that he smiled to himself and jumped out of bed. He had a class in an hour and was feeling wildly motivated.

It wasn't like Gellert had forgotten him already. The man was busy, he had plans. Plans in which Albus would willingly be by his side, yet it didn't feel as he thought it would.

Pulling on a shirt he wondered how much of an asset Gellert considered Albus to be. It had seemed obvious at first that they were lovers again, locked in a partnership that kept them as one. But something was different!

As teenagers, they would laugh and joke, and feel pride of accomplishment together. However much Albus had once believed in the cause, this felt more one-sided. The control was definite. But the uncertainty of whether that was a good thing or not, was present in Albus' mind.

When he had changed he vigorously checked his cuff links in the mirror. This an over sited extremity as he pulled on his waistcoat over his shirt. His dashing reflection seemed unhappy.

Frowning, he turned to his watch. He still had 45 minutes. What the hell!

Grabbing his suit jacket he rushed out the doors of his room. Like a child on their way home from school, he ran down the corridor with excitement.

As the earliest riser, there was nobody about. The corridors almost too silent as the sun began to peak through the paned-glass windows from the morning rise.

He ran hard and fast and almost flamboyantly as he made his way to the moving staircases. How fascinating they still struck him as. He grabbed hold of the one bannister as it slowly began to give way from the level Albus was stood on.

He managed to jump on as it swung him around, faster than he had expected, but fun all the same. It had been a while since he'd rode the stairs. He thought it was better than apparating.

He could do that any day!

With his path set, he made his way to the 4th floor. Even if students or teachers had been awake at this point, no one would've dared follow him to the room he was about to enter.

The room of requirements.

Forbidden to students, and not known by many others, Albus knew that his relationship to the Mirror of Erised was sacred. The mirror which showed him the deepest desire of his heart.

He'd wasted years staring at that damn mirror. Waiting for an inevitable future that was never going to happen yet...it had.

Or so he had thought.

Walking into the room once more was almost like a dark memory. The room had not changed, had not been touched since he last stood in it. However, dust follicles had managed to embroider on the framework that lined the mirror.

It was covered in a drape. He'd purposely left it like that to avoid coming back to disturb his fantasies.

It hadn't stopped him.

When he pulled the drape off fully, the misty draft came seeping down, covering himself in dust particles. He looked up at the framework, briefly watching his own face in the mirror as he read the inscription plastered at the top.

'Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi'

Sighing into the silence of the room, Albus mastered the confidence to look at his reflection this last time.

Curious to only see himself as he watched and waited because he had finally found happiness, finally held the deepest desire of his heart. He'd expected to only see his mirrored reflection, yet...

The face that appeared before his eyes was as familiar as it had been before.

A silhouetted figure with white, flowing hair reappeared in his wake. The man was faceless yet the outline was undeniable. A blurred image of Grindelwald was staring at him once more.

The image was different. Although it was undeniably an image of Gellert Grindelwald, it was only the faded silhouette with the pearly white hair that was shown.

"What does that mean?" He said out loud.

He dropped down, crouching in front of the mirror. The reflection of Grindelwald following him down as he looked deeply and thoughtfully at the image.

"I don't...understand."

Placing his hand on the mirrored glass he sighed. The faded shoulder in the mirror in retaliation, outstretched his own hand, placing it against Albus' from the other side of the glass.

This could only have meant one thing. Knowing the truth stung at Albus' chest, yet he could not deny what he had witnessed.

The desire had not been achieved.

He wanted to go back. Go back to the times that were simpler in their adolescent years. He could remember it as if it were yesterday. Gellert dragging him by his hand as they sped through the fields, looking for mischief and adventure.

In this moment, he felt the complete opposite, knowing in his heart of hearts that Gellert had fooled him once again.
Albus didn't know what to do.

So in the moment of despair and fortitude, he fell to his knees and watched as the already distorted image rained down to the base of the mirror, reflecting the tears that were now coursing down his own face.

~~~
So, I watched the new film yesterday!!! Omfg, it was incredible. Those who haven't seen it need to go as soon as. Love this ship, love this fandom, love the wizarding world that J.K has created.
Hope you enjoy my version.
And thank you for all the praise you've given me, guys!!!
Xxx