Chapter 1

Fred and George Weasley's shop in Diagon Alley couldn't have been more of a success if they had tried. Their sense of humor was channeled through the various toys, knick knacks, and pranking products and shined bright in such a dark time for the wizarding world. Evil had been infecting every place that had once been lively and joyous, Diagon Alley being no stranger to the virus. In fact, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes was the only shop that was still open .

Hogwarts students flooded through the shop during their last week of freedom. School supply lists had been checked off and all that was left was to buy a few laughs before the term began.

"How much for this?" Ron asked his twin brothers that stood on the staircase leading to the second floor of the shop.

"5 galleons," they answered in unison.

"Well, how much for me?" Ron asked, disappointment running across his face.

"5 galleons," the twins confirmed.

"But I'm your brother."

They both shrugged. "10 galleons."

Their sister Ginny and family friend Hermione Granger were looking through the various displays throughout the shop, weaving their way in and out of the people that were crowding the floor. Harry Potter was at the other end of the store, looking through the various items for sale, particularly the Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder.

As the twins stood on the landing between the first and second floor, George said to Fred, "Freddie, we actually did it."

"I know, Georgie, I know."

He gazed below and watched all of their eager patrons leave with bags full of goodies. Something peculiar caught his eye, though: a red headed girl kneeling down to help a young boy pick out a product. He watched as her face was nearly as excited as the boy's as she showed him several different things off of the shelf. He was nearly convinced that the boy was somehow related, a cousin or brother, until the boy's mother walked over and thanked the girl for helping her son. The two left, the giant grin apparent on the boy's face as he held his package with great elation.

"Georgie," he called to his brother.

George walked over from the other side of the landing and leaned against the railing next to Fred. "Yes?"

"You ever thought that we could use some help around here?"

"Thought never crossed my mind."

Fred watched the girl with some intensity, tracking her movement through the crowd. She was now at the register and paying her total.

"Should we start hiring? And you have about 10 seconds to decide."

George looked down at the crowd trying to spot what Fred was seeing. "I swear to god, Fred, if this is a scheme to pick up a girl I swear I'll–"

"Promise it's not."

George rolled his eyes. "Fine. She better be good."

Fred's trademark grin to his brother was there and gone in a flash, Fred jogging as quickly and coolly down the stairs to intercept the girl as she walked from the register to the door.

The girl was lost in her own thoughts, thinking about how her brother would enjoy all of the pranks and knick knacks she had bought for him. In all honesty, she knew not everything in her bag was for him. What good was a pranking war if you supplied everything to the enemy? She always kept good things for herself. The excuse to her brother was that if he wanted good ammo, he should go with her to the shop.

His excuse for not going always led back to wanting to go with his friends. Not being seen with his older sister was another reason, though. He was in his "I don't want people to know we're related" stage.