Chapter 12

Nothing happened.

They were alone.

Immediately Clara pushed past Fred to see what had happened to the two rooms. Inside Griffin's room, drawers were pulled out of every possible place, clothes were strewn around the room, books were open on the floor with pages ripped out. It was a nightmare.

The same story could be said for her mother's room, except it seemed like more clothes were missing as well as a few valuable jewelry items.

"What do you think happened?" Fred asked from the doorway, surveying the damage.

"I'm not sure. I'll have to talk to Roman, though."

Fred nodded. "I think you should stay with George and I tonight."

Clara turned on her heel in slight surprise. "That won't be necessary, Fred."

"Clara," he said a little more sternly than expected, "look at this place. What do you think would have happened to you if you had been home?"

Clara looked around once more, her head lowered slightly. She may have been able to take on her mother on her own. With Griffin being there too, it's possible that Clara would have faced the same fate as their father. After some consideration, she said, "Only for one night."

Fred nodded, but he knew it would definitely be for more than that, especially if Roman had his way. There was no chance he'd want Clara alone after this.

"Maybe you should grab a bag with some of your things. I can wait for you downstairs."

Clara nodded. Looking at her mother's room one last time, her heart sank at the thought of what was to come next. Her heart sank even more at the thought of what Roman would say when she'd finally get a chance to tell him.

+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+

Fred and George sat on George's bed as Clara kneeled near the fireplace, anxious to hear what Roman would have to say.

"Clara, what's wrong?" Roman asked.

"Mum's not at St. Mungo's any longer. Or...at least I don't think she is."

Roman's breath hitched in his throat. Pulling out his watch, he checked the face that had his siblings and mother on it. The most peculiar thing was happening. Michael and Clara's hands were fixed at Hogwarts and at the shop, but his mother's was spinning constantly, unsure of where her exact location was.

"What happened?" he asked.

Clara looked up at Fred. "Fred had taken me home and someone broke into the house. Mum's room was a wreck and..." She trailed off, thinking of her brother's room and all of the photos in the house.

"And?" Her brother's voice was stern.

After some hesitation, Clara continued. She explained how all of the family photos had been ruined. She told him how her mother's room and Griffin's room had been broken into. She even explained how fortunate she was that Fred had taken her home. A few minutes sooner and she could have been caught in a terrible place.

Roman's face was in deep thought. Clara's heart started to beat faster and faster the longer it took Roman to reply.

"I'm going to come back as soon as possible. You stay with the Weasleys until I tell you otherwise. How much longer does Michael have until the term is finished?"

"About three and a half more months."

"Well, don't worry him with the details for now. Just keep writing to him and we'll figure things out as we go."