Chapter 5

From then on, that was the habit. Fred, George, and Clara would finish work at the shop, close up, then Fred would take Clara home. They'd sometimes apparate to a place quite a distance from her house so they could walk together, sometimes they'd apparate straight there. More than a few times Clara had repaid the twins' kindness and made them dinner at her place. They'd all laugh about memories they had at Hogwarts, hearing each other's very different perspectives on school. It made for some interesting stories.

"So even Michael has one of those marks on his hand too, eh?" George asked, shoveling in another mouthful of Clara's roast chicken.

She nodded. "Mum and I were the most shocked when he came home that winter with that God awful scar. He is a really good kid. Umbridge was just so...terrible!"

Fred laughed. "I think the only person who escaped all of that was Hermione."

Clara nodded. "Hard to think that she helps Harry Potter with so many things, yet never gets in trouble."

"Yeah, what's the fun in that?" Fred asked, snickering with his brother.

The three laughed at more stories as they finished up dinner, then Clara served them each a slice of pie. She found that it was their favorite thing to eat after their mother's home cooking. She had poured them each a cup of coffee as well.

"So, exactly how long is your mother gone for?" Fred had asked. It had been about a month since he first asked Clara about it, and it seemed to be quite the extended stay for it to be just a trip.

George's eyes shifted from Fred to Clara uncomfortably as he set down his fork. Eventually his eyes rested on Clara, who was staring at the cup of coffee that sat between her two small hands.

Her lack of response prompted Fred to ask once more. "Clara?"

She looked up at him suddenly, as if she had been called out of a trance. "Sorry. It's just–"

A series of knocks came at the door.

She turned her head sharply towards the noise; her heart rate was slightly elevated, a small amount of fear running across her face. Turning back to the twins, she said quietly, "No one ever comes around here. Ever. And I'm not expecting anyone other than you two."

Both Weasleys had their wands at the ready as the trio stood up and walked towards the door. Clara walked sandwiched between the two, wand also out and directed at the door.

The knocks happened again.

Fred grabbed the knob, turning to Clara as he did so. "I'm going to open this. Whatever happens, we're here."

Clara nodded, her heart jumping to her throat as Fred twisted the knob.

The large white door swung open slowly as Clara peered around it. She was both shocked and confused as to what she saw on the other side.

"Mum?" she asked in disbelief.

There Ms. Caxton stood, smile bright and her body looking well rested. She was in a white gown that failed show any of the curves she had and her wavy, crimson-colored hair was down around her shoulders.

"There you are, Clarissa," she commented, holding out her arms and walking towards Clara to bring her in for a hug. "Oh, how I've missed you so." She held Clara in a tight embrace, her eyes closed in the bliss of holding her daughter.

Clara couldn't help but feel uncomfortable in her mother's arms. She couldn't really remember the last time she had been hugged by her mother. There was a lack of warmth and caring in this embrace in comparison to Mrs. Weasley's, which made Clara's heart sink a little lower.