Chapter 23

Clara stood in the kitchen rolling out the top crust to the dessert she was making. For the first time in ages, she was making an apple pie. She had used her magic to start dinner for Molly, but she always wanted to make her pies by hand. Her mother had always told her that the secret to making a good pie was to put in the effort. They didn't need magic for everything.

Arthur walked through the door and put his hat on a hook near the door. "Good evening."

"Hello, Mr. Weasley," Clara greeted, placing the crust on top of her pie. "Mrs. Weasley is hanging laundry I think."

"Smells good in here," he complimented.

"Nearly finished. I have a few sides ready to set on the table if you'd like to help."

Arthur obliged. He set out the dishes on the table as Clara placed her pie in the oven and wiped her hands on her apron. Molly walked into the kitchen and kissed Arthur hello.

"It looks wonderful, darling," Molly told Clara, an appreciative smile gracing her face.

Clara smiled in response as she taste tested what she had cooking in a pot on the stove.

All at once, Clara felt a force push her backwards that nearly sent her to the floor. She regained her balance and noted that all of the lights in the house had gone out.

She turned quickly to the Weasleys and found a glowing orb in the center of the room. Everyone's attention was captured.

"Lightning has struck," a voice explained. It sounded like Bill. "Pack up and come as soon as you can."

The orb disappeared nearly as quickly as it had arrived, the lights in the Burrow returning to their normal state.

Each person in the room looked at one another, their chests heaving up and down in surprise and newfound fear.

"Right," Arthur stated, breaking the silence. "I suppose it's time."

"Time..." Molly repeated. "I didn't think it'd happen. Not again..."

Clara walked over and squeezed Molly's hand. "We'll be alright. We need to finish this once and for all."

Molly looked into Clara's encouraging eyes as tears brimmed her own. She paced a hand on Clara's cheek as she let a smirk slip out. "Right, dear."

Clara smirked back as she gave Molly's hand one final squeeze. "I'll put all of this away. If you could, I have a change of clothes in a bag just inside my room door."

Molly nodded as she walked upstairs to get her own things as well as Clara's.

Clara proceeded to put some food into containers for them to eat once they got to their destination. All the while, her heart had begun to race faster and faster. It was hard to not think about what was going to happen in the next day or so. The phrase "lighting has struck" was meant to indicate that Harry had finally made it to Hogwarts, which meant that the war was finally upon them.

Her hands had started to tremble, Clara resting them on the edges of the sink as she let her head hang down. All these months away from her family and Fred had taken a drastic mental toll on her. To not know if anyone was safe scared her immensely. She didn't think she'd be able to fight if anyone she cared about was killed.

But maybe she just needed that fire to push harder and fight with more courage.

+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+

Walking through the newly made secret passage, Clara gazed at what the Room of Requirement had become. Seeing so many students with such pale expressions told her that they were nearly as scared as she was.