Chapter 3

FP tapped the microphone, to check if it was working. The dance floor was packed with teenagers, wildly dancing to the music coming from the speakers on the stage. He scanned the floor checking for a particular person and not finding her anywhere. Leaving the stage, FP headed behind the curtain, looking for Fred. They were due to play a song for the Prom King and Queen's first dance. Fred and Mary hadn't been put forward, to Fred's relief but Hermione and Hiram and Alice and Hal had. FP didn't even have a date. The only person he had ever planned on going with was Alice, but Hal had already taken that opportunity from him.

He searched around backstage, not able to find Fred and turned to go back, but stopped. There were raised voices, one that FP recognised instantly. He followed the voices, and discovered Alice and Hal, in the middle of a heated argument. FP didn't interrupt but hid behind a wall and listened.

" How? How did this happen?" Hal's horrible grainy voice.

" I don't know. It just... happened." Alice sounded incredibly stressed.

" Out of all the people it could have been it was FP."

FP suddenly became interested about their argument when he heard his name.

" I know I'm sorry. I truly am."

Ah.

Alice had just told him about their encounter at the Wyrm.

" If you want to stay together, you have to get rid of it."

This made FP stand up straight. Get rid of what?

" I'm not going to look after another person's baby."

Baby? Alice was pregnant? FP was paralysed. 

" Fine, Hal. I'm not giving it up. FP would make an amazing father compared to you."

FP couldn't believe it. He was going to be a father. To the love of his life's baby.

" Well I know this for a fact. We are done." Hal was seething, FP peeked round the corner and could see Hal's face, eyes flaming with anger.

" That's fine by me." Alice looked surprisingly relieved by the break up. She watched Hal storm off and slid down the wall, head in her hands. FP came out from his hiding spot and Alice jumped when she saw him.

" Shit, FP. How much did you hear?"

FP edged closer towards her.

" I heard enough." He was standing in front of her, knees up against her stomach. FP could now see how beautiful she looked. Her prom dress was a light blue, with off the shoulder sleeves and a pleated skirt. Her hair was down, just how FP liked it and she was wearing natural makeup, apart from rosy red lips. FP offered to help her up but she refused and looked at the floor distraught.

" I don't know what I'm going to do now." she said, her voice shaking uncontrollably.

" Alice. I'm here for you and our baby. Whatever happens, we're going to get through this, I promise you."

Alice looked up to FP, tears welling up in her eyes. She slowly got to her feet and as soon as she was level with him, put her arms tightly around FP. He hugged her back as she rested her head on his shoulder. 

" Everything's going to be okay."

***

Alice and FP left backstage, Alice going into the crowd to find Hermione, and FP spotting Fred and Mary walking onto the stage. FP rushed over to them.

" FP, is everything okay?" Mary's brow furrowed with concern.

" Alice and Hal broke up."

Fred's eyes widened.