Chapter 8

Alice stayed at FP’s until early evening when she decided she should probably go home. As soon as she got through the front door, her mum asked her to help with dinner. Alice was chopping carrots when her Dad walked in from work, in a mood about some business crap that went over Alice’s head. He didn't offer to help his wife and daughter, just wandered off to his chair in the living room.

It was silent for the first part of meal time. Alice sat there playing with her food. Being pregnant increased your appetite, but beef stew was not something that Alice wanted.

“ Are you okay honey? Why aren't you eating?”

Her mother.

Alice realised what she was doing and stopped.

“ Sorry. I'm just not that hungry.”

They carried on with their dinner until Mr Smith spoke up.

“ Where were you today Alice? I've not seen much of you recently.”

Alice hesitated.

“ I was... with friends.”

“ Harold?”

Alice gulped. Since her father had pressed at the subject, it was probably the best time  to spill the truth.

“ Uh no, actually. FP.”

Mr Smith stopped eating and put down his spoon.

“ FP Jones? Don't tell me you've gone back to that lot again.”

“ That lot? The Serpents you mean. And no, I haven't gone back. Not yet.”

Mr Smith stood up, an angry look upon his face.

“ I thought you were done with the Southside Serpents and FP Jones. I thought Harold was taking you away from it.”

“ Not that it's any of your business, but Hal and I broke up because he was a controlling dick.”

“ Language Alice,” her mother whispered from her seat. Alice had forgotten she was there.

“ FP Jones is a bad influence. You need to end things with him.” her father said, folding his arms.

“ No. I'm not breaking up with him. I love him.”

“ Alice Susanna Smith, I'm not going to let you be dragged around by Southside scum! You have a full life ahead of you, you're bright, beautiful, you had a capable caring boyfriend who would have been able to provide for you-”

“-Dad I'm pregnant.”

Those three words took all of the emotion out of her father’s face. He stood there, not looking at anyone. Alice was shaking from head to toe. She glanced at her mother, whose eyes of disappointment made Alice want to cry. She stood up, ready to approach her father but he was already walking towards her. When he got to her, he took one look before slashing his hand across her face.

“ ALAN!” Mrs Smith gasped, joining her husband and daughter on their feet. Alice automatically reached for her face, tears glistening in her eyes. So many words tried to form in her mouth but only one came out.

“ Bastard.”

Mr Smith’s face turned into a snarl.

“ Get out.”

Alice did as she was told, without hesitating.

***

FP was watching the TV when he heard a knock on the door. This confused him. No one ever came to visit him, not this late anyway. Standing up he walked across the trailer, listening to the rain thudding on the roof. The person at the door was who he expected. But not looking like they normally did.

She was sopping wet as if she'd been in the rain for hours. Her hair was a mess and her eyes were blotchy, like she'd been crying. But the most noticeable thing was a big red mark on the side of her cheek.

“ Al, baby, what happened?”

Alice let out a sob and ran to hug him, FP unsure what to do. What the hell had happened to her?