Chapter 9

Alice lay there, on the sofa, in the comfort of FP's arms. They'd been there all night, not talking or even sleeping, just holding each other. Alice's eyes were closed but she was wide awake. She turned around so she could feel FP breathing on her face.

" You okay Al?" FP asked her, stroking her cheek.

" What am I going to do?" Her voice was still shaky from crying.

" For starters, you're not staying in that house. You're coming to live with me."

" But-"

" Alice. Your dad hit you. If he isn't happy with us having a baby then he isn't going to interfere with our little family."

Alice sighed but nodded in agreement.

" What about my mom? Surely she won't accept her husband abusing her daughter, right?"

" I've gotten to know your mother well over the past few years and one thing I know is that she loves you very much. She won't just ignore what happened." He kissed Alice and sat up, waiting for Alice to do the same.

" I should get some clothes and stuff from home. But I don't want to run into my parents."

" What time do they go to work?"

" My dad will have already gone in. But my mom heads off at about 10."

" We'll go after she leaves then."

Alice looked at him.

" We?"

FP nodded, as if it was obvious.

" I'm coming with you, of course."

Shaking her head, Alice smiled. He was so sweet.