Chapter 12

FP was serving a customer at the counter when Alice and her mother arrived. He looked relieved to see Alice, and even happier when he saw Mrs Smith behind her. When they approached him, Mrs Smith gave him a smile.

" That outfit makes you look very handsome, FP," she said, making FP laugh.

" Thank you, Mrs Smith."

" I think it's time you called me Carol."

FP smiled.

" Do you want me to get you anything?"

Mrs Smith shook her head.

" I better be off actually." She turned to Alice, giving her a tight hug.

" I'll be back in a couple of weeks to check on you lot. Keep safe okay?"

Alice promised to, and Mrs Smith went around the counter to hug a slightly confused FP. Then she was out of the door. FP lent over the counter to kiss Alice before picking up a cloth to clean the tables. The diner was empty. Alice sat down at the bar, placing a bag on the table.

" Where's your mom going?"

" Greendale. She's left my dad."

FP stopped and turned.

" Really?"

Alice nodded, the corners of her mouth twitching. A part of her felt a bit bad for wanting her parents to get divorced but her father was abusive. She had her reasons for being happy.

FP walked over, wrapping his arms around her waist.

" Can I admit it now that I always preferred your mom over your dad?"

Alice laughed.

" Well my mom always liked you more than my dad did anyway."

Grinning, FP kissed her again. They were soon interupted by the ding of the door. FP looked over Alice's shoulder and his face dropped.

" What?" Alice asked, turning to see what he was looking at. In the far booth, slouched against the window was Hermione. Her eyes were red and blotchy, and she was shaking from head to foot. Alice wanted to ignore her, but she looked as though she needed someone to talk to. Taking a deep breath, she walked over as Hermione looked up.

" Alice, If you're here to have a go, I'm not in the mood."

Alice sat on a stool by the bar, facing Hermione.

" I'm not going to have a go at you. You just looked like you needed a friend."

Hermione was silent for a second, before she spoke, her eyes welling up with tears.

" Hiram's gone."

" What?"

This came as a shock to Alice. She was sure that Hermione's eyes were bigger than her heart and she'd go off with Hiram to New York. Hermione had proved her wrong.

" Yeah, he left a couple of hours ago. I listened to you Alice. I confronted Hiram about him being controlling and he just got angry. He started yelling things about money and him being the best provider for me. Then, I told him I didn't want to live my life with a bastard like him. He walked out. My mom just told me he'd gone."

Alice smiled and Hermione looked at her confused.

" What? Is my pain amusing to you?"

" No, of course not. I just knew I was right."

Hermione smiled then. Getting up off the stool, Alice slid on the booth beside her best friend. Wrapping her arms around her, she put her head on her shoulder.

" I'm sorry I called you a two- faced bitch. I mean it's true but I shouldn't have said it." Alice was met with an eye roll and a laugh from Hermione.

" See, I told you she'd come to her senses eventually." FP was walking towards the two girls, a big grin on his face. He sat next to his girlfriend, so all three were all squeezed onto one seat.

" So Hermione, what are you going to do now?" FP asked.

" First, I need to apologise to Fred and Mary. I've been so horrible to them. And I need to check into the Five Seasons until I can get my own place."

" What about your mom? Aren't you still living with her?"

" She kicked me out. Apparently, I was throwing my life away not going with Hiram."

FP smirked.

" I think you'd have thrown your life away if you did go with Hiram."

Hermione nodded, sighing. FP stood up, and went out the back to get changed.

" Where are you going now?" Hermione asked Alice, picking up her bag from the floor.

" The Wyrm. I'm kind of nervous.  I'm worried the Serpents won't let me back."

" Don't be ridiculous. I'm sure they'd understand why you left."

FP returned, now sporting his Serpent jacket over blue and black flannel.

" You ready to go?" Alice nodded and FP looked at Hermione.

" Wanna come with us?"

Hermione shook her head.

" I should talk to Fred and Mary. You never know, they might let me crash at their place for a bit."

She gave a small smile, hugging both Alice and FP, before walking out of the diner. FP turned to Alice.

" No Serpent jacket?"

Alice hesitated.

" I... forgot."

She hadn't forgotten. She just didn't want angry gang members to verbally abuse her for betraying them.

FP rolled his eyes but ushered Alice out of the door, locking up on his way. He put his uniform in the back of his truck before getting in the front, Alice in the passenger seat. It took a couple of seconds to start the engine and then they were off.