Chapter 1- New

I woke to the sound of rain tapping against my window.
I had had another nightmare, the same one I'd been having since I was six.
The ending words of it still echoed through my head.
"Your next."
I could still see the little girl running faster and faster before her eyes rolled back into her head and it all went dark. That's where it has left off for the past eleven years.
I turned to my alarm clock as it was still dark out. It read that it was 5:00 am.
I groaned and trudged to the bathroom to shower as I knew there was no way sleep would happen for me again.

When I was done showering, I brushed my long brown curls and put them into a ponytail.
I had always wondered what I was. Growing up in an orphanage also meant the confusion of what I really was.

I had no pictures of my parents, Victoria, the orphanage owner, told me that they had died in some sort of accident but she never told me what.
The one thing I had from my parent was a star shaped locket,though with nothing in it, I still cherish it as though it were my parents. I have not taken it off for as long as I can remember.

I go downstairs after I brush my teeth to make sure breakfast is made.
I was treated horribly by Victoria but the rest of the kids weren't bad at all.
Victoria never hits me but she treats me as though I were a dog.
So that means I need to cook and clean and help the younger kids get dressed and ready to go for the day.

After everyone was up and eating I started to walk to school, eager to get the day over with so I could go back to bed.
The people at school never even bother to look at me or notice me, which I was completely fine with.
I had gotten good grades since kindergarten to of course I never really needed help so I just kind of go unnoticed.
As I walk into school, I quickly make my way to my locker to get everything I needed for my first class.
Alright let's get this over with.
         ....................................................

My first two classes went well, it was my third class when it all went down hill.

It started when the queen bee, Layla, decided to trip me when I got into my math class.
I fell face first on the ground and everyone started laughing. I blushed then quickly made my way to my seat, waiting for class to begin.

This was an everyday occurrence, so it wasn't something I needed worry about. Sometimes they would do worse, so I considered myself lucky today.

I had noticed that it started to rain again. This brought a smile to my face because rain was the only thing that made me happy. It was also fall so the color of the leaves and the grey, stormy clouds mixed together made me feel warm. Content if I may.

The rest of the class went pretty quickly because I could see what was outside, waiting for me.

Lunch came and went, luckily without anything happening to me.

It was the last class of the day. Latin. My favorite class. It was just really easy for me.

Spiritum. It means to breath. I have lived by that statement. It's a reminder to keep your balance in life.

When I got to class, something felt different. I looked around and sure enough it was. There wasn't a teacher in there, just students. Maybe she's just running late. The Latin teacher, Ms. Frank, was never late though. She's never even been absent. I walked to my seat in the back of the class. Just a few moments later someone walked in. He had light brown hair, he was very tall, and he had honey colored brown eyes. He looked pretty young to be a teacher.
He started to write on the boar d, Mr. Evens.
" Hello class, my name is Mr. Evens and I'm your new Latin teacher."

Everyone was staring at him, questioning why Ms. Frank wasn't teaching us anymore. He seemed to notice our confusion and said, " Ms. Frank quit unexpectedly so I was the one to take her place."
After the explanation he started teaching. A lot better than Ms. Frank I might add.
He spoke it beautifully, like it was his first language.
" Now class, who can tell me what magicae means?"
No one raised their hand.
" Young lady in the back, what's your name?"
I went still. I was the only one in the back of the class. His light brown eyes met my dark brown ones. I felt my self pale fast. "Ebony," I said curtly. "Ebony...?" He trailed off.
"E-Ebony Oden," I stuttered.
"Well miss Ebony, do you know the answer?" He asked.
" M-magic," I stuttered yet again.
"Correct."
A wave of relief passed through me as he went back to teaching again. At least I got it right.
...................................
As I walked out of the school I heard the popular crew yelling about something. I came to realize they were just saying things about me. Nothing new. I thought. I was about 5 minutes from the orphanage when the same people started throwing things at me from the car. I sighed and continued to walk when another car pulled up next to them. This car was beautiful compared to the ones the popular people were driving. It was a Tesla. The newest model. It was a beautiful matte grey with tinted windows. As the windows rolled down, I heard a familiar voice.

"Brian, if you so much as talk to her again, I will make sure your off the football team." Mr. Evans said.
He then locked eyes with mine. "You have my word," he said still talking to Brian, and still not taking his eyes off mine.
Brian looked surprised and instantly his face was red. "Yes sir," he said, moments before he took off with his friends in the car.
My mouth was agape. No one ever stood up for me before. This was new.
" Would you like a ride home Ebony?" Mr. Evans asked.
"N-No thank you sir," I said while shaking my head.
" Alright. Have a nice day Ebony," he finished off with a smile before rolling up his window and driving off.
My mouth still hung wide open as I started walking again.
This was very new.