Chapter Five

The atmosphere of the room was starting to bother Mastani. She fidgeted a little, rubbing the white fabric of her anarkali between her fingers. Suddenly, the king walked in. His stride was impressive for someone of his age. He was powerfully built, just like his son, but old age and a lifetime of ceasless warring and drinking had caused a sag in his muscles. You could see that he had once been handsome. He had stunning green eyes, and a neatly groomed salt and pepper beard. His hair had been dyed jet black, and was adorned with a rich golden crown. He wore a cream dhoti and kurta(long shirt), embroidered with golden thread. Rings and necklaces of gold adorned his  figure. He smiled, his eyes full of warmth. "Hello Lady Mastani." he said. She touched his feet. "Ayushman Bhava beti.(live a long life)" he said, giving her his blessing.  Everyone sat down on cushions and chaises in the courtesans room. Mastani sat rather stiffly, her back rigid, ankles crossed and hands in her lap. Her long hair cascaded down her back in perfect waves, her full lips colored pink, eyes lined with kajal. True to her persona she wore only a few trinkets, the most exquisite being her mothers necklace. A beat began playing on the dhol(drum), and Mastani smiled. It was as familiar as the mango tree in her home. Ghungru's(anklets) chimed as kathak dancers strode into the room. All wore beautifully embroidered dress, and had a certain charm. The lead dancer twirled, her feet keeping up with the dhol's rhythm. She finished, and touched the kings feet. He laughed and praised her performance. "Drink mam?" a servant came with a golden tray. She nodded and took the juice from him. She had gotten used to the palace over the few weeks she had been here. She had not, however, gotten used to the fact that Vivaan visited her almost every night. The wedding was less then two days away. The haldi and mehendi ceremonies were the day after tomorrow's Ganesh pooja(prayer). The actual wedding was the day after that. She sipped the juice. The men were drinking wine, and laughing. "Mastani! Why don't you sing for us?" Vivaan asked. She flushed bright red. "What?" she asked. "No, I can't, I'm a horrible singer." she protested as Vivaan glared at her. Seeing his look, she immediately nodded. "Fine, I will." She smiled and took her place on the pouf at the center of the room. Her voice held everyone spellbound. As she finished her last note everyone applauded. Vivaan smiled. Her voice was a breath of fresh air in the toxic smoke of the palace. "Everyone, thank you, you may retire to your chambers now." The king declared.  Mastani bowed and turned to leave. As she entered her chambers, she felt strong arms wrap around her. She turned and glared at Vivaan. "Stop." she hissed. He planted a firm kiss on her lips, before turning and leaving. She collapsed onto her bed and fell into an exhausted, dreamless sleep. She didn't notice the person in the shadows who watched her sleep, their coal black eyes fixed upon the sleeping girl.