Chapter Eleven

She flitted around their room the next day, making arrangements. 

Their normal red silk sheets were to be replaced by white ones, the round pond of lotus flowers would have candles floated on top of it. Rose petals would be strewn all around the room, as well as candles on all the shelves, the chandelier unlit to leave a dim, flickering glow. All this would be done while she and her husband celebrated in the Great hall.

There was a huge feast in honor of Payal, who had chosen her suitor. All her preparations were for what came after. She was getting ready now, an hour and a half to go before she had to leave.

A bath had been drawn for her, as usual perfumed with rose and honey. Stripping herself of her light blue lehenga, she stared at her naked body in the mirror. Placing two hands on her stomach, she marveled at the soft curvature of her midsection, only enough for her to notice. There was a new life in there. The thought excited, but scared her. She was only eight weeks in, and had more than seven months before she held the baby in her arms.

Vivaan still didn't know. She planned to tell him tonight. 

Tying her hair into a messy updo, she sunk into the warm water. She wasn't able to relax, and was still very paranoid after almost being raped, so double the guards had been installed outside her chambers and a few maids were always just inside the door. 

After taking her bath, she donned a light pink robe, a silken thing that comforted her a bit as it was extremely soft. Sitting down at her dressing table, she lit the incense stick, filling the room with the scent. "Meera!" she called. Meera rushed inside, a smile gracing her face. She wore a green saree embroidered with designs of birds, and her thick hair was clasped back from her face, tumbling down her back.  

"Please, set out the red silk saree that baba gifted me, and the jewelry Vivaan gave me," Mastani said. Meera nodded and left the dressing room.

Vivaan, being the crown prince, had huge chambers, a bedroom, a living room, an enormous bathroom, two dressing rooms, a spacious study, and a balcony, with steps leading up to the terrace. Mastani still was adjusting to the sheer size of the space, her chambers before they got married, and those of hers at home were tiny compared to his. 

She applied kohl to her doe like brown eyes, making them stand out. She patted blush into her cheeks, and painted her lips red. Henna applied the night before colored her hands and feet, and she applied sindoor to the parting in her hair. Applying the small bindi, she brushed out her waist length hair. Meera twisted it skillfully into a bun that sat on the nape of Mastani's neck. 

She dressed in the handsome sari, pinning it's folds in place, and slipped on the necklace and earrings, leaving the mang tikka aside, for it took away from her simple look she was going for. Meera clasped the silver payal's around her feet, as Mastani applied perfume. She was ready.

The way the sari was draped hid the marks Vivaan had given her, and complemented her glowing, moonlike complexion.

Hands wrapped around her waist and she screamed, turning to see Vivaan. "Ya allah, Vivaan, why would you do this?" He smiled devilishly, before planting a kiss on her cheek.

"You look beautiful," he whispered in her ear, his breath soft. He looked so handsome, in a deep green sherwani and ivory dhoti, a matching green turban hiding his wild black mane. 

"Are you ready to go?" she asked. He nodded and took her arm into his. 

Trumpets announced that the two of them had arrived. Chandrika followed behind them, holding Kavya's hand. 

She spotted Payal, looking absolutely gorgeous in a blue lehenga that matched her eyes, and made her dark hair seem even shiner. 

Dozens of people mingled, laughing, and nursing glasses of alcohol in their hands.

An enormous table took up space on the right side of the room, set with expensive china plates and silver dishes. 

Pressing a kiss to her cheek, he stood with his arm around her waist, as everyone fell quiet.

"Good evening!" the King said, his voice booming. "Today is a very special occasion. My dear daughter Payal has chosen her suitor," he said. Payal beamed and walked to his side.

She spoke next. "I took everything into careful consideration, and I have chosen Prince Siddhartha of Chola as my suitor."

Applause met her words, as Prince Siddhartha stood and came to her side. He had gentle features, and was tall, with a muscular body, and deep skin. His smile was brilliant white, and he wore yellow, which suited him well. He and Payal looked quite good together.

Everyone moved to the table for the feast. The King sat at the head, his Queen next to him, followed by their children, and then the guests from the Chola party.

The food was rich, and beautifully arranged. Mastani particularly enjoyed the desserts part of it, with various delicacies all brought out. She really loved the kheer(rice pudding) flavored with mango puree, it was delicious. 

The celebrations lasted late into the night. The beat of the drums awakened the dancers who twirled and whirled, their skirts flying, bells on their anklets tinkling. Chandrika left halfway through, as Kavya was sleepy.

Mastani couldn't help but see hurt in her eyes as she left, the fact that her husband had his arm around another woman painful to watch.

She knew it was only natural now that they were sautans(sister wives) to feel this hurt, this guilt. 

It was not a new feeling for her. Guilt. Not after what happened with that girl.

Her name was on Mastani's lips, causing her joyous mood to come crashing down.

Shreya