Chapter Fourteen

The village housing a growing rebellion against the royal family lay just on the outskirts of the capital.

It was led by a woman named Durga. No one knew what her real name was, or why she was adamant on destroying the Rathod family, but they knew her fury had no bounds, just like the mother goddess.

Everyone had gathered in one of the rooms of the small house she shared with her son Karthik. A mere boy of just five, he was already showing promising signs of becoming a fine warrior.

Durga spoke, her voice echoing in the hall of which the sat. Her lips were curled into a sly smile. "The journey from the womb is a dangerous one. Many sicknesses, accidents, could take the life of the fetus. You never know what truly is in the food that you eat."

"Are you proposing we kill the heir?" A man by the name of Mahesh asked. His brother, Suresh, piped up.

"What about Mastani? She was forced to marry him, and it's better that she is spirited away to an ashram."

"We won't kill your dear cousin Suresh," Durga said with a sarcastic tone. "Simply her child and family. And it must be a son. I won't take the life of a daughter."

"We'll know soon enough," Mahesh said. "Our informant inside the palace say the princess is due any day now."

"Tell our informant that as soon as Mastani is in labor, they must inform us," Durga said, running a hand through her sons hair. "That dog is going to pay for causing Mastani pain."

~*~

"You look beautiful my love," Vivaan said, planting a kiss on her swollen belly. She really did. Maternity brought her a beautiful glow. "Are you comfortable?"

She shifted on the cushions a little more. "Yes, you should go get some-"

She stopped talking, her face going sheet white.

"Love, what's wrong?"

"I think you are going to become a father very soon," Mastani replied, wincing. "Please fetch the midwife Vivaan."

He called for Meera, who ran off to fetch the midwife, after he glanced down and saw the wet bedding.

She clenched his wrists tightly as bands of pain spread from her back to the front of her abdomen.

Mastani was flowing with sweat, which he tried to wipe with his sleeve.

The midwife came to the room and helped Mastani change into a simple cotton kurta for the labor.

Which was short. Too short. The midwife said she'd gone into rapid labor, and the baby would be delivered in a few hours.

It turned out to be babies, because Mastani had twins, a boy and a girl.

She passed out from exhaustion, and awoke a few hours later to Chandrika holding her daughter, and Vivaan rocking her son in a cradle.

His face was grave.

"What happened?" She asked. "Are my children okay?"

"They're fine," Vivaan said. "But all three of you are in danger."

"From who?" Mastani asked.

"An assassination attempt. Some group wants to kill my heir. I'm sending the three of you away."

"Vivaan, I can't live without you," she said, cupping her hand on his cheek.

"You must darling. Raise our children to be strong."

"What names has Payal chosen for them?" Mastani asked. "I'm guessing we aren't going to do a formal baarsa(baby shower)?"

"Our daughter, is Rajkumari Uma Singh Rathod. Our son is Rajkumar Aditya Singh Rathod."

"I love it," she said. "My Uma and Adi."

Payal stepped from the shadows. "I'm glad. I wanted to pick auspicious, and beautiful ones that also sounded regal. Obviously I had to consult birth charts, the priest said both of them had bright futures."

"Thank you didi," Mastani said. "Love, when are we leaving?"

"You, Chandrika, Kavya, Uma, and Adi, will be leaving tonight. We announced to the kingdom that you tragically passed away with our son at birth due to poisoning."

"You lied?"

"For your protection love."

"I understand," Mastani said solemnly. "Where are we going?"

"A village far away from here. There is an old mansion, belonging to Payal's birth mother there. No one will know who you are, because you will disguise yourselves as Muslimahs."

"The bastard sister's mansion," Payal said with a cold smile. "My disloyal father said I am simply adopted, but in reality, not many know I am everyone's half sibling. I don't bear much of a resemblance."

Mastani reached her hands out to take Aditya, who opened his eyes slightly. "He has your eyes," she said to her husband, who smiled. Little Aditya had bright grayish blue eyes. "What color are Uma's?" She asked Chandrika.

"Green," she said. "Both seemed to have taken after our side of the family. She looks like you though. Kavya looks nothing like the either of us, she's gone after her maternal grandmother."

"Don't forget, light eyes run in my family as well," Mastani said. "My mother and younger sister possessed green and blue respectively."

"She's beautiful Mastani. Your genetics did well."

"Thank you didi," Mastani said, managing to sit up. "Can you help me dress?"

"Yes," Chandrika said, helping Mastani into a plain black anarkali and blue colored shalwar. She draped the niquab over the younger girl, who was still sitting on the bed.

"Ouch," Mastani mumbled as she tried to stand. The space between her legs was very painful, and so was her stomach, which had lost its tone.

Vivaan caught her, pressing a kiss to her lips. "Go my love. Keep our children safe. I'll try to visit soon."