Chapter Six

Mastani shuddered as the cool haldi was spread on her cheeks dotingly by an aunt. Her sisters watched shyly from a corner. Gauri had a wide smile on her pale face, she ecstatic her sister was getting married. 

Haldi Outfit:

As the smooth turmeric paste was spread onto her cheeks by her sisters, she looked into their faces

As the smooth turmeric paste was spread onto her cheeks by her sisters, she looked into their faces. Avantika had a small, worried smile on her face. Gauri was oblivious, and laughed as she splattered turmeric everywhere. Bangles made music in the room full of mainly woman, with just a smattering of men. Mastani's head turned to her father, who was happily talking to her uncles, a glass of some type of alcoholic beverage in his hand. Her attention turned back to her own ceremony, where it stayed for the rest of the night, only occasionally wondering what Vivaan was up to.

~

 The next night was the sangeet, which was held in the garden. Large billowing tents in colorful hues had been set up on the lawns. Cushions, chaise's and Persian rugs offered a luxurious place to sit. Mastani was wearing one of the most beautiful lehenga's she had ever seen. Shades of blue, sheer nets, it was stunning. Owing to her usual fashion, she minimally accessorized it.

She glowed radiantly among the guests, as she flitted back and forth like a butterfly does from flower to flower

She glowed radiantly among the guests, as she flitted back and forth like a butterfly does from flower to flower. Arm in Vivaan's, she graciously greeted the guests, and carefully tolerated the loudest and drunkest of the bunch. Even the whispers then were true. She was fit to be a princess, and eventually a queen. The night was full of food, drink, and raucous laughter.  She hid her black and blue bruises with clothes, her pain behind a demure smile. 
"Vivaan, you have chosen well, Lady Mastani is fit to be the new rajkumari," one of his oldest friends, Sameer told him. Vivaan smiled as Mastani blushed the color of a rose. Holding her hand, he gestured for her to follow him after Sameer disappeared. 
"Come," he whispered in her ear softly. Warily, she followed not wanting to invoke his wrath. She was seeing a different side of her husband to be today. He wasn't the rough, stony man who troubled her at night. He was a man who was polite, respectful to elders, and fit to rule a kingdom. They broke away from the guests, finding themselves inside a grove of trees. The sweet smell of jasmine filled the air from the vines, which wound themselves among the trunks of the leafy trees. He plucked a few flowers, tucking them behind her ear. "Sit," he said, gesturing to the stone bench. She sat next to him and gazed into his handsome face. His eyes were soft, and loving.
"You have passed my test," he whispered. She gazed at him, not fully understanding.
"What?" she said.
"You have passed my test. I needed a wife who was unbreakable through it all, and you have proven that."

All those nights. That was a test? Her voice rose higher as she spoke. "What? Meaning you injured me to test me? I was left nursing bruises, wiping tears of of my face, cleaning my blood off of the sheets? All for a test?" she was pounding on his hard wall of a chest. "You cold, ruthless, unloving monster..." she was cut off with a kiss. A soft, warm kiss, nothing like before. His hands moved through her hair, his touch gentle, and caressing.

"You are precious my little Mastani," he whispered, cupping her face in his hand.