Four - Weighted

I heard Brendon before I saw him. He was pleading with a doctor, begging, crying, just wanting to see Ryan.

"He's my fiancé!" He cried. "Please just let me see him! If he's gonna die I want to see him!"

"He's not going to die, Mr Urie -" the doctor began, but Brendon just cut him off.

"That's what you think - I want to see him now!"

"Bren," I said, my voice shaking, as I approached him. "c'mon."

"I want to see Ryan!" He dissolved into fresh tears, burying his face in my shoulder as he gripped my shirt. "I just want to see him! His parents are there - why can't I go in?"

"Just be patient, okay? You'll get to see him. I'll make sure of it." I sent a hard look towards the doctor, who nodded in understanding and walked through a door, which I guessed Ryan was behind. I glanced towards Gerard, and he came over, wrapping one arm around me and another around Brendon.

"I - I - I've never been so scared in my life..." He wept, and I soothingly ran a hand over his hair. "Please, Frank - please - just - please just tell me he's gonna be okay..."

"He's gonna be fine, Brendon." I said. "And I mean it. Ryan's strong, I'm sure he can fight anything."

At least ten minutes of listening to his sobbing passed, and then a doctor approached us. He beckoned us towards Ryan's room, and the three of us followed, Brendon clinging to my hand like a small child. He let out a whimper when he saw his fiancé, heading straight towards the chair on Ryan's right and taking his hand.

"Ry? Can you hear me?" Tears dripped down his face, and Gerard and I stood near the door, watching as he placed a kiss on the smaller boy's forehead. There were tubes and wires leading into Ryan's small frame, and it honestly hurt to see. He'd been doing well; what had happened?

"Yeah..." Ryan choked out, his eyes still closed. "I...I can hear y-you..."

"I love you. I love you so fucking much, Ryan -"

"Shut up, Bren." The ghost of a smile rose on his lips, and he took a deep, shaking breath. "You're going soft on me."

Brendon let out what was crossed between a sob and a laugh, as Ryan's parents, on his other side, smiled affectionately. "I could never go soft on you, baby."

Ryan's eyes opened, and his eyebrows rose. "Really? 'Oh my god Ryan I love you so much never leave me you're my one and only forever and always 'til death do us part blah blah blah' - that's going soft." It sounded like it was taking a huge amount of effort just to speak, and he had to keep pausing, taking huge breaths.

"If you die before the wedding so help me Frank -"

"I'm not gonna die, fool." His fiancé interrupted, at the same time I said, "Hey!" Ryan spotted Gerard and I, looking us up and down, and a smirk found its way onto his pale face. "I clearly dragged you two out of something important."

"That was his fault." I nodded towards Brendon, who flushed.

"I was scared!" He protested, and Ryan rolled his eyes.

"You idiot - you should know by now not to get scared because of me; I'm not going to die." He said, and Brendon raised his hand to his lips.

"I'm not taking that chance - I could lose you at any moment -"

"Don't." Ryan's tone was firm, his eyes hard. "I'm going to be okay."

They stared at each other for a few moments, until Brendon sighed, ducking his head and closing his eyes. Gerard slid an arm around my waist, and I leaned into him as Brendon muttered an apology.