Chapter 4: Haught and Bothered

"Why are you so mad?"

"Because you always text me when you get off of work."

"You always get annoyed with me when I do that."

"Yeah well this time it would have been important to know!"

The argument continues as Waverly begins to regain consciousness. She grimaces quietly to herself as she tries to sit up feeling a throbbing pain in her head. The last thing she remembers is seeing Nicole walk into the living room and then her world went dark. Wynonna was right, she never actually said that she didn't live with Nicole.

But why would she lie to me? Waverly thinks to herself. It isn't like I control her life.

A thousand questions begin to form in the brunette's head as she takes all of this in. Her head is swimming with confusion and disappointment, but there's just a tiny part of Waverly that is somewhat relieved to know that her sister and Nicole are still so close; to know that Nicole isn't wasting her life away like Chrissy has convinced her that she is. Her mind keeps racing, making her headache even worse. She tries to sit up again and manages to make it to her feet this time before falling back down, sitting on the couch with a huff.

"Fudgenuggets," Waverly grumbles to herself, taking her head in her hands.

"Oh good, you're awake. How's your head, Waves?" The voice rings in Waverly's ears, slightly startling her.

"I'm fine, Wynonna. I just need some air," Waverly stands up before her sister can argue and grabs a blanket from the couch, heading out to the small balcony overlooking the street.

Despite it being long past midnight, the streets are oddly quiet. Waverly finds it unsettling and shivers. She wraps the blanket around her shoulders, pulling it tight to keep her warm. Waverly closes her eyes and takes a deep breath trying to calm herself. The cold December air reminds her of when she was younger and spent most of her time with Wynonna. They would have snowball fights in the front yard of the homestead and and would build forts in the snow, spending as much time as they could out there. Together. The thought immediately calms Waverly and she takes another deep breath, letting her shoulders fall causing her body to visibly relax.

"It's okay," she tells herself. "Your college ex and your sister live together, and she's in there right now probably talking about you. There's nothing wrong with that," she shakes her head, keeping her eyes closed, and hopes that she can convince herself that there really is nothing wrong with it.

"You can say that you're fine with it," Nicole steps out onto the balcony and closes the door behind her, "but I know your voice. I know when something is bothering you," Waverly doesn't respond, but instead just shrugs her shoulders. "Can we talk?" The question is asked timidly.

"There's nothing to talk about, Nicole," Waverly shrugs again. The mention of her name sends chills down the red head's spine. "You and Wynonna have always been friends. I'm not upset about you guys living together or whatever you think I am. I'm fine."

"Right," Nicole nods before continuing, "well if you're so fine with all of this then why won't you even look at me?"

She takes Waverly's silence as an invitation to keep talking.

"Or is this anxious and aggravated attitude that is so unlike Waverly Earp about something else?" Nicole knows she's treading in deep water as she speaks, but she pushes past the though and places a gentle hand on Waverly's shoulder. "Is all of this about Champ?"

Nicole knows it's a dumb question but she's been apart from Waverly Earp for so long that she has no idea what else could be going on in the girl's life. Wynonna never really talks about her either claiming that it's because she rarely ever speaks to her sister. There comes no comment from the smaller girl for a few painstakingly long minutes, but when a response does come, Nicole regrets ever opening her mouth.