Chapter 20: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Well folks, this is it. The last chapter. I really hope you've enjoyed reading this story as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Thank you for all of the votes and comments! You guys are the reason why I do what I do.

I hope you enjoy this small little epilogue. A glimpse into Wayhaught's future. Thank you, again, for following through with this story!

Enjoy!

- - - - -

One Year Later

Waverly rushes back and forth between the mirror in the bathroom and the mirror near the window of the dressing room. She mumbles something about the lighting in one area making her look better than the lighting in the other, and can't decide if she really does look good or if she's got it all wrong.

"Wave," Wynonna says, "you need to calm down. You look fine."

"Fine?" Waverly halts and abruptly turns to face her sister, who is currently seated on a couch across the room. "I look fine? Wynonna, I can't look just fine! It's my wedding day!"

"Baby girl," Wynonna stands and crosses the distance of the dressing room, stopping a few steps away from her sister, "you look amazing. Haught is going to lose her mind when she sees you walking down that aisle. Take my word for it."

"The last time I took your word for something, I found out you were lying to me about living with my ex ex," Waverly states flatly.

"Okay, yes, but you two are getting married now, so in a way," Wynonna shrugs, "you should be thanking me."

"You're insufferable sometimes, you know that right?" Waverly rolls her eyes, but there's a hint of a smile on her face.

"You know I'm right, though," Wynonna grins and raises her almost empty whiskey glass to her lips.

"Shut up," Waverly shoves her sister playfully. Her eyes move down to Wynonna's left hand, where a simple, silver engagement band now sits on her ring finger.

"It's still weird, you know," Wynonna says, taking notice of where her sister's attention is.

"What is?" Waverly brings her eyes back to Wynonna's. "That you're engaged to one of my best friends?"

"Just being engaged in general," Wynonna huffs out a low chuckle and stares at the ring on her finger. "I never thought I'd be tied down in the future, let alone to another woman...let alone, your best friend."

"It's exciting though, isn't it?" Waverly asks, her eyes lighting up. "The planning, the waiting, the dress shopping and venue searching. It's all so exhilarating, and it's a process that you'll come to find brings you closer to the one you're going to spend forever with. This entire wedding planning experience has been eye-opening for Nicole and I, to say the least."

"Why, because you fought over what kind of cake you wanted? Or that Haught prefers the lighter shade of blue napkins out of all the other shades which look like the same shade of blue?" Wynonna snorts, recalling the quarrels the couple had over the process of planning their big day.

"No," Waverly rolls her eyes. "It brought us closer together, and made me realize that this is really what I want. That marrying Nicole is the right choice. That leaving her in college was the worst decision I've ever made."

"I'd like to think the three years you spent with Champ the Boy-Man Hardy takes the vegan cake for dumbest decision Waverly Earp has ever made," Wynonna points out. "But what you said is a close second. She never stopped loving you."

"But she was with Shae for, what, two and half years? Engaged to her?"

"Yes, but I knew where her heart truly belonged, who it truly belonged with. I knew this, because the void she felt in her heart was the same void I felt in mine. There was a Waverly-shaped hole in our hearts and we had been longing for you to come back. And you did. And we're both so fucking glad for that," Wynonna smiles.