Chapter 16: Old Habits Die Hard

Waverly throws the door to Kate's shop open and storms out, her hands balling into fists. Her breathing is unsteady and her mind racing. She has always known about Chrissy and Nicole's distaste for each other, she's seen them argue over pointless things that didn't matter, but she never thought that it would become such a problem. Before, it was arguments over the seats of a movie theatre, or where to go for dinner. Now, it has turned into an all-out war over Waverly's love and affection. They argue over who deserves to have her in their life more, when she can be in both of their lives equally, when they know how much she values both of their relationships.

"Well, at least I thought they knew how much I value both of them," Waverly grumbles to herself as she walks down the sidewalk, arms wrapped tightly around herself.

The revelation of Chrissy having feelings for Waverly hit the brunette like a tidal wave, drowning her in her own shock. It all made sense then, though. Chrissy is a very possessive person, so when she acted that way about Nicole, Waverly had just assumed that she was acting the way she normally did. Any time someone had made a move on Waverly, or had even just tried to become her friend, Chrissy had jumped on them and advanced before they had the chance to. Chrissy considered Waverly to be her sister, so of course she would be so strict about who she wanted Waverly to be friends with, to date. When Waverly met Nicole, though, Chrissy seemed to be more hostile than she had been with anyone else before.

With Champ, Chrissy had always seemed oddly content and at peace with the way things were going. She never once made a threat to his life, only when he and Waverly had first started dating. No matter how shitty Champ had acted around her with Waverly, Chrissy just turned a blind eye and lifted Champ up on a pedestal as if he were the most amazing man in the world. That was because, Waverly noticed now, he wasn't Nicole and he would never be Nicole. Waverly isn't mad at Chrissy for being so strict and possessive, she's upset with the way she has been handling the whole situation with Nicole. Chrissy knows how much Nicole means to her, and the fact that she is still acting the way that she is angers Waverly beyond belief.

Nicole is disappointing her, as well. Nicole knows how Chrissy is, how much she despises the redhead, yet Nicole still plays games with her and tantalizes her about it. Waverly is more disappointed in Nicole than anything because of how immature she had been acting just five minutes ago. Everything seems to be a contest with her and Chrissy, and Waverly is not about to let herself become the center of their next competition to see who can win her over first. She needs space, and she needs time. As she slowly makes her way back to the apartment, Waverly starts to hope that Rosita and Wynonna aren't together anymore, that she can just go back to their apartment and rant to her friend.

Waverly looks up as she walks by Gusto's and stops to stare up at the sign for a moment. She sighs and runs a hand through her hair, thinking back to the night that changed her life forever. She stares at the sign, bottom lip pulled between her teeth, and thinks about where she would be right then and there if Champ hadn't brought her there to end their relationship. She thinks of the way her relationship had been going at the time, how things seemed to be so perfect and happy. She thinks of the good times and the bad times they shared because, despite the abuse and the fear he instilled in her, Champ did love her. Waverly loved him, too, at some point. She had grown so accustomed to the aggressive ways that Champ used to show his affection to someone that she had completely forgotten what it was like to feel truly wanted by someone.

By Nicole.

Nicole came back into her life and saved her from the monster of a boyfriend she was trapped in a relationship with. Nicole treats her the way that anyone should treat their partner, but a million times better. Nicole takes into consideration how Waverly is feeling and never forces her to do anything that she doesn't want to do. Nicole sees her and hears her and doesn't make her feel like she shouldn't be hesitant because of her past. But Nicole also has the tendency to act childish over things and overreact when she doesn't need to. Take the entire Chrissy situation, for example. Nicole should be the bigger person and let the feud die; give into the hate and just smother Chrissy with kindness until it passes. She does the complete opposite, though, and that's partially because of how she was raised and partially because of her competitive nature that comes from playing hockey in high school and college.