Chapter 11: A Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Shae stands with her feet planted firmly on the ground, staring at her fiancé making out with some other girl. She isn't able to tell if she knows the other person but she knows that Nicole is connecting with her on a different level than she does with herself. There are numerous empty glasses on their table so Shae can only assume that they're drunk. This thought tames some of the fire burning within her chest, though not much. She contemplates approaching Nicole and making her presence known, but something inside of her pulls her to stay where she is. So she does. Hiding behind an artificial tree near the door of the bar, Shae keeps her eyes on her girlfriend and this other girl as they continue to kiss. When they finally pull apart for air Shae finally realizes who the mystery girl is.

Waverly Earp.

Of fucking course.

Anger and confusion take hold of her body and she isn't able to completely comprehend what her eyes are seeing. Waverly Earp, Nicole's college ex who smashed her heart into a million pieces, is sitting in a booth making out with her fiancé. The first genuine feeling that Shae experiences is relief. Yeah, okay, so Nicole kissing her ex-girlfriend isn't the best look on the redhead, but Shae knows that Nicole would never do anything to intentionally hurt her. Which only made their interaction even more complex to dissect. They're drunk, that's all. Drunk kisses are a thing. Nicole and Waverly go back in for another kiss and Shae decides that she has to put an end to whatever is happening before it actually begins. She marches toward the table and stops inches away from the booth, folding her arms across her chest.

"Nicole," Shae clears her throat. Nicole looks up at the darker skinned woman with a deer-in-headlights look with dilated pupils, she is definitely inebriated.

"Shae!" Nicole smiles. "What are you doing here?"

"I decided to come surprise you. I got off early tonight. I know I missed your set so I was hoping to have a couple of drinks together. Though I see that you've already done so with someone else," she directs the last part at Waverly.

"I told you not to come," Nicole slurs her words. "Tonight was a shit show, a shit gig."

"It doesn't seem like that to me," She crosses her arms. "I'm starting to think that you didn't want me to come because you invited Waverly."

"Shae, wait – " Waverly tries to speak up but Shae continues.

"Nicole, can we talk? Alone?"

"I don't think that's the best idea right now," the redhead slurs.

"It'll only take a minute."

"Go, Nicole," Waverly looks at the older woman and nods. "You're sober enough to talk to your fiancé."

"Fine," she huffs and stands up.

"Why didn't you tell me that Waverly was going to be here tonight?" Shae asks after leading them near the bathrooms.

"Because you hate Waverly," Nicole stares at her.

"I don't hate her," Shae crosses her arms defensively. "I don't like that she broke your heart and left you without second thought."

"I hurt her first," Nicole defends Waverly. "I hurt – almost hurt her. Because I was drunk and angry."

"That didn't give her a right to leave you, Nicole. You could have worked it out."

"No, that's the thing, Shae," Nicole shakes her head. "We couldn't have. I was no good for her. I was a deadbeat college failure with a degree in music, trying to pave a path for myself in one of the hardest industries to make it big in with nothing but a guitar and three hundred dollars. Waverly deserved better. She still does."