Chapter 8: High Hopes and Low Expectations Pt. 2

The bathroom door swings open and Nicole and Waverly just barely manage to put enough space between them to not raise any suspicion, both girls holding their breath and praying they weren't caught. And if the lack of space between them isn't a dead giveaway, then their appearances definitely are. Wrinkled and untucked shirts, messy hair, flushed faces; Nicole knows that they're done for.

Waverly lets out a deep breath when she sees Rosita standing in the doorway, two coffees in her hands and a shit eating grin on her face. Waverly visibly relaxes, though only slightly, and Nicole takes notice to the stare Rosita is giving her. The ginger opens her mouth as if to explain how this isn't what it seems, but she closes it knowing it won't do them any good. She glances at Waverly with panicked eyes and sees the relief that floods the smaller girl's features. Nicole looks back to Rosita and takes a deep breath.

"I have your coffee," is all the second brunette says as she lets the door swing shut behind her. "I got your favorite," she smiles and extends a hand to Waverly. Waverly takes the cup, keeping her eyes locked with Rosita's.

"Rosita I can – " the smaller girl starts but is interrupted by Rosita holding her hand up.

"There's no need to explain, Waverly," Rosita smiles. "Like I said earlier, I've got you. I'm with you," she directs the last part at Nicole. "These are confusing times for you. You're an adult and are totally capable of making your own decisions. Just don't let Chrissy find out or she might actually have a heart attack,"

Nicole finds herself laughing louder than she intends to and that gains her a curious look from both Waverly and Rosita. The redhead stops and immediately feels her face flush, knowing damn well that her cheeks now resemble the fiery mop of hair on her head.

"I'm sorry," Nicole says. "It's just that Chrissy never really liked me to begin with. If she found out what just happened, I'd go to jail for unintentional homicide."

"Well she won't find out," Waverly assures her. "Rosie won't tell her, and I sure as hell am not having this conversation with her right now."

Rosita nods and looks between the two girls. "Right, well I'll uh...let you guys fix yourselves up and keep Chrissy distracted so you can sneak out one at a time and not raise any suspicion."

Nicole and Waverly watch Rosita exit the bathroom and watch the door slowly close, leaving them alone again. They turn and face each other, not knowing what to do. Neither of them anticipated what just happened, and they are both at a complete loss for where to go from here. Nicole watches Waverly, watching her facial expressions change as she thinks. They stand there in silence for what felt like an hour before Waverly finally spoke up.

"Coffee?" She looks at Nicole and offers the redhead her cup. "I think I at least owe you that."

Nicole shakes her head and catches a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror. She runs a hand through her hair and meets Waverly's eyes once more.

"No, you keep it. You drink it," Nicole protests. "I lost my coffee, but it spilled all over you. I at least owe you that," she looks at her reflection again and runs another hand through her hair, groaning when it still doesn't look right.

"Here, let me help you," Waverly giggles and sets the cup down. She reaches up, standing on her toes, and gently runs her fingers through Nicole's hair, parting it the way she likes it.

Nicole holds her breath and glances between her reflection and Waverly, not trusting to let her eyes linger on the brunette for more than a few seconds. Waverly slowly extracts her hands from Nicole's hair and lets them wander down the taller woman's face. She lightly traces Nicole's jaw with her fingers and smiles when Nicole shivers slightly.